constant throat clearing pls help!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there not too sure where iam suppose to post but i hope someone can help me, im 20 years old and currently 28 wks pregnant, for the past week i have been experiencing the constant need to clear my throat/chest, sometimes theres no mucus to cough up and sonetimes tuere is, not sure if ive become over sensetive to my throat or what? I suffer a great deal from heartburn and possibly acid reflux due to stomach contents coming up in my throat, could this be from pregnamcy related issues or somthing more serious?please help thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy! biggrin

I would suggest calling your midwife about this - they should be able to advise you best about this. 

• Posted

Mid section fat is known to be responsible for GERD reflux, those who don't have it can suffer from only silent reflux. I know this because there were times I had belly fat and time I didn't, so I imagine having a baby can cause the same effect. Basically the fat (or baby, in your case) pushes the guts and stomach contents upward, more noticably when sitting down or basically bending your body is a similar position to sitting. I found it helpful to sit on a chair that leans backwards, like those office chairs, sitting upright doesn't help. I guess you'll have to coupe with it for a few more months.
  • Posted

Maisie, I really do think you have answered every one of your own questions. In Physics it's the good quality of the questions that bring good answers. Read through your questions and there are the answers and all answered by your excellent, good self. Best Tony
  • Posted

Congrats on your pregnancy

It sound like it's linked with your pregnancy

Keep drinking fluids hopeful that will help with throat, if it's becoming unbearable please speak to your midwife or Gp

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments, i suffer badly with heartburn and acid reflux and will be tlking about it with midwife next week, can frequent heartburn cause rhe constant throat clearing? I also belch quite alot and sometike burp up stomach contents which is really awful, do you think therea any damage being done to my esophagous? Ir does feel abit scratchy from the constant throat clearing im not sure if its become a habit or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.