Constant urinary frequency...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have constant urgency my PCP states it is due to vaginal atrophy and my urologist states I have over active bladder. Tried a prescribed medicine from my urologist and ended up in the ER. Then I tried Estrace Thursday night and felt less urgency Friday, but today (Saturday) the constant urgency hasn't let up all day. This is awful and interferes with my sleep and everyday activities. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Not sure your age but that you mention vaginal atrophy you must be in menapause or nearing. If your urinary issue is bladder infection, you might try an over the counter urninary pain relief med. There is generic brands that work very well too. It is the ingredient phenazopyridine HCI 97.5 mg that relieves the pain burning and urgency to urniate. If this is what you have, this may clear it up. Turns your urine orange as you pee for a couple days but you get fast relief. Also if your not taking a cranberry supplement that will help not get these bladder infections anymore.

Now if it is indeed from vaginal atrophy then you might not get relief from this as the vaginal and surrounding tissues become very thin in women with atrophy exposing them to frequent urninary tract infections. Anyway, thought I would put this suggestion in because I know it is horrible to feel the urge to pee all the time with no relief. Lots and lots of water helps flush infection out too. 

If the problem is vaginal atrophy you might consider replenishing your hormones especially in that area where you are having problems. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, I had 2 UTI's and once my urine and cultures were negative the urgency/frequency continued non stop my PCP prescribed Estrace for vaginal atrophy. I was reluctant to use it so I went to a urologist who prescribed Myrbetriq, and the side effects landed me in the ER. So out of desperation I tried the Estrace, it worked the first and the third night. Hopefully, I will continue to have some relief.

• Posted

Hope this gives you some relief. If it is atrophy it will take some time for the estrogen to work. Typically it is prescribed nightly for 2 weeks then 1 to 2 nights a week or as needed for maintanence. Like I said, seems a lot of women get UTI's after menapause when their hormones are depleted and tissue begins to thin leaving you more open to infections. 

• Posted

Thank you, I really hope this works my anxiety level is becoming debilitating thinking about urinating constantly and getting little to no sleep.
    • Posted

I'm sure thats awful. If you are not finding relief in your estrogen cream I think I would go to your local drugstore and get some of that OTC urninary relief that I mentioned. I have needed it in the past and one dose starts working if its a bladder infection very quickly. I haven't had anymore since I started taking cranberry supplements daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.