constant uti's

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so glad I found this site, I really thought this constant pain from UTI'S was just me, which as you all know can and is a lonely and frightening feeling, my husband sister and mum are so supportive but I do worry they think I am making more of it than is neccessary. I had cervical cancer 20yrs ago and was one of the very lucky ones that came out the other side, I had large and long doses of radium treatment which burnt my bladder badly. It was fine for years I then started to suffer with cystitus uti's and at first the antibiotics worked ok. Now they just dont touch it I have had a 'bout' every month for the past 18months, I spent 2 weeks in hospital as I was bleeding very badly from the bladder which involved some rather gross clots. The medical proffesion has basically told me my bladder is caput so now I just keep going back to the doctors for more anti's. I am not a depresive person but I am so low at the moment I just cant stop crying (I know that wont cure it or even help) but I just cant help it, I dont want to go to work I dont want to go out I have even started to shop on line! It doesnt help because I feel so guily for feeling like this as I was so lucky to survive the cancer in the first place, and I do keep chastising my sef and giving myself a boot up the bum but I cant keep it up, it rules not only my life but my families as well, I have never told anybody this but my poor long suffering husband and I have not had any sexual contact for over a year now, this is just not away to live, I have asked him if he would like a divorce because even though I love him to death I feel so guilty but I am to scared to have sex. As I wont go on holiday anymore (have had to come twice from holiday) I have just sent him away for a week just to give him a break from me, If I am sick of me lord knows how he must feel. :x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I fully understand, my relationship broke up and i now i will stay on my own. I work in care and find it very hard, im also anemic and have a similar thing with my bowel, burning and stinging. Ive had a hysterectomy and bladder and prolapse repair and a cystoptamy, and im suffering worse than ever. Ive tried D mannose, prelief helps a little, but other than that ive no suggestions, im afraid, ive tried everything, and i too have been on constant antibiotics, and now my g.p refuses to give me, and treats me like a hypercondriac. I do hope you can find a solution.x   

• Posted

Hi guest, Sorry to read about how badly its affecting you, been there wore the tshirt, nightmare time.  l think people have cystitus bladder probs in varying degree,s, and some who have it moderately really dont understand what its like to have it severely and it doesnt help to just judge by their own experience and be dismissive of others, as if its their attitude thats wrong. l also had cancer, radiotherapy, chemo over a year and was very lucky to respond well to treatment, lve also had several major ops, and many minor ones, but none of it compared to the phsyical and mental torment of severe ic nowhere near, but undiagnosed and untreated over many years, with drs in end putting it down to phycalogical hypacondria. The nervous system does go through the bladder and that does affect the mental state on top of expected response to symptoms and affect of lifestyle, again it annoys me when people say it doesnt affect me, just get on with it etc, just try diet and it will go, well they cant have it severely or infected ulcerated, as it does affect lifestyle  very badly, my sex life got less over the years, and l used to enjoy sex, , but it caused discomfort having it and triggered flare ups, and l,d do anything to avoid a flare up, l ended up having hysterectomy for symptoms, not my choice, but agree in hope it would help, it didnt help, the sheer dissapointment of me partner and family, whilst inflammation caused gall bladder inflammation choicylitus, l was a wreck, though found gall bladder removal an easy keyhole op.  Also felt terrible guilt, but other times fury, self hate, my poor husband, he did his best, switched off at times, l accepted his need to, we managed a type of sex life, he didnt complain, but on one rash occassion l ended up with flare up and he with sceptaceamia very ill , l convinced ld caused it due to infection inside.  l knew what was happening and tried to keep the worst from my kids, didnt want them to suffer also. We just made best of any settled times and endured the worst. We couldnt book a holiday either, so bought a tourer, later a static, so we could go on spec re when symptoms tolerable, but no guarantee they wouldnt flare up on the journey, spoiled it for me, tried to let them have times enjoying themselves, away from me. l did eventually get diagnosis of ic, meds and support group, `wee ray of hope`, founded by Annette, who,d had it severely, as had her sister who gave up

Annette went in for urostomy, still young women with a family, but it took her symptoms away, and she ran the support and raise awareness group for many years, big help to many, l made two good friends with same problems, one moderately, one severely and she also after many years suffering went in for a urostomy, she had to fight to have it done, urologists reluctant to do it, major op leaving patient with stoma, but she didnt regret it finally seeing an end to the pain and suffering, her marriage had broke up before, so now she enjoys her single life and her dog, her choice.  My marriage just about endured, sadly within two years of diagnosis and symtoms improving my partner died suddenly, very sad after all the bad years, as within a couple of years my symptoms improved by 90 percent, leading to a difffent and more normal life that could be enjoyed, not as much as if with partner, but had sons and pets and made the best of it.  But it might be your husband would rather have you as you are than not have you at all in his life.  But dont give up hope, there are new mds and procedure,s all the time coming along, and some urologists better than others. surgery is radical and many wont  go down that route, feel horror at thought of it, but the few that do have improvment to normality, its often a final resort if bladder badly damaged and meds dont help, worth a thought at least if it gives you a decent painfree life back. But hope you find meds that will help. Best wishes

• Posted

In my mid 20's I suffered with this so many times (always after sex) and it was horrible. I have a good routine now though and I have managed to avoid it for the last 5 years. Here is what I do: I always go to the loo straight after sex, and over the next 24 hours I will drink a soluble 1000mg vitamin C tablet (which I heard makes things more acidic and harder for the bacteria) and later on I always drink 3 glasses of water over the course of an hour, so I go to the loo a few times to keep the bacteria from being able to multiply. I always stay away from sugary drinks (this inlcudes cranberry!!) as I think sugar feeds the bacteria. Really simple but very effective for me. I really hope this helps someone as it used to make me so down suffering with it so regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.