Constant vertigo with MD

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Reading through a lot of these discussions has been really helpful and reassuring to know im (sadly) not alone in all of this.

I have 2 questions which im hoping someone might have some advice on.

1. My symptoms of MD have been going on for years but only recently been diagnosed with MD. I always seem to get the attacks January-april ish then nothing the rest of the year, is this common with anyone else?

2. As well as having the attacks, the usual dizziness, tinnitus, fullness, nausea etc. I have still got positional vertigo, fullness and tinnitus once the attacks have passed. I can get on with work etc but its not ideal. So my question is does anyone else get the symptoms in between attacks? Sort of linking back to my first question, the symptoms as with the attacks disappear within a few months however return when the attacks start/beginning of the year.

I havent had an attack now for 3 week (having been having them weekly) my gp has upped my dosage of betahistine to 16mg 3x a day, i also have prochlorperazine maleate for when i can feel an attack coming on, also propranolol to help my stress and anxiety. Ive cut down on salt and switched to decaf tea, which all seems to be helping. All this seems to be working for me at the minute, so fingers crossed.

Thanks to anyone who can help smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jcharnock. I haven't experienced your number 1 but certainly do feel fullness, slight dizziness and tinnitus between episodes. It's really frustrating because I'm always anxious that another attack is imminent. I take a Stemetil when I feel like this but I seem to have constant fullness and Tinnitus. I also think these symptoms are related to hearing loss which I certainly have in that ear. I think what you are describing is all part of the desease. The seasons don't have an bearing on my episodes. They happen any time. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Im slightly happy now i have my diagnosis, because now i know what im dealing with. I am the same with the anxiety though, always worried an attack might happen. The doctor prescibed me the propranolol to help ease the worry, its a very small dosage but its seeming to work. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi Jcharnock. I had all those symptoms at the start of Meniere’s and 16mg x 3 controlled them for a while but having been seen by a neurotologist who increased my dosage to 24 x 3 and I am symptom free now. Even the tinnitus has almost disappeared thankfully. I will be monitored every 3 months and presumably at some point the dosage will be reduced. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, im going to see a neurologist at the end of the month so hopefully i will be getting some more answers then. Happy to hear you've got things under control at the minute smile

• Posted

I have had balance problems and tinnitus and hearing loss for 20 years but only got really severe about 5 years ago and recently diagnosed with Ménière’s by the hospital. I have constant vertigo and have lost most of the hearing in my right ear. The tinnitus is very loud in that ear. I am on betahistine 16x3 daily which used to work quite well but not so good now. I also take Stemetil when I am vomiting. I am still under the hospital but will probably get signed off on my next visit so apart from the diagnosis I haven’t improved very much unfortunately.

• Posted

Im sorry to hear you've had problems for so long and that you're at a bit of a standstill at the moment. Keep on at the doctors for help you'll get there in the end im sure! Ive learnt over the years to ignore the tinnitus and live with the deafness and i, as im sure you and everyone else with MD would like to get the dizziness and attacks under control. Hope you get some more help soon.

• Posted

christine 35821 is on the right track. My experience is you must get to a high enough daily dose of betahistine to completely stop the attacks and any vertigo and nausea, although it is unlikely to get rid of the tinnitus and hearing damage.  In my case I went as high as 64mg tds. Remember also that betahistine takes a month to become fully effective. Once free of attacks for 5 - 6 months you should be able to wean off slowly and be in remission, but if symptoms start to return go straight back on your previous highest dose to regain control and start the clock ticking again.

It is also a good idea to keep Buccastem tablets handy - they dissolve under your top lip so no need to swallow tabs if you are being sick.

• Posted

Hi are you in Uk or America? I am arguing with the hospital about staying on the betahistine because she wants to wean me off them because she said because I have taken them for 20 years they wouldn’t be working now. This terrifies me. She was talking about putting me on a beta blocker instead. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. If the symptoms persist i will see if they can up the dosage. Like ive replied above, im seeing a neurologist at the end of the month so i will see what they can suggest for me. The buccastem tablets have come in very handy over the past few weeks, i have them on me at all times.
  • Posted

jcharnock,

I feel for you as I have been going through for many years now as well and most recently affecting both ears. I'm interested in the fact that you said it seems to come on in Jan-April.  I've noticed a pattern with mine as well in the same months and am just currently recovering with additional hearing loss. I'm working with an allergist to see if there is some kind of environmental trigger that sets off an episode this time of year. Wonder if anyone else has noticed same kind of pattern?  As for your 2nd question, yes I get all the symptoms in between attacks and have had to get used to living with tinnitus, fullness and dizziness.  I could live with all of those, but the hearing loss is really taking a toll. Hope you can find some relief and I'll monitor this allergy thing to see if there is any connection.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Interesting its the same months for you, ive always put it down to lack of sun over winter and maybe air pressure. Its the only thing i can think. My GP has suggested it might be SAD or something similar. It'll be interesting to see if the allergist can figure anything out, i have often wondered but i eat the same all year round. Unless its all the things your not supposed to over xmas??? I'd be interested to see what you find out. Good luck!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.