Constant Vulva Itching, Please Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been experiencing constant vulva itching for months (contact dermatitis: latex condoms and cleaning product residue in the bath tub [June & July] ) I’ve been on a strong steroid (clobetasol) on and off since July to provide relief, but as soon as I feel a little better and stop using it, 2-3 days later the severe itching just comes right back.

No pics because there is no visible rash, bumps or anything out of the ordinary to see. I’ve been to 3 OBGYNs and 1 dermatologist already. I’ve been tested for yeast and bacteria infections, UTI, STDs all are negative but I constantly itch. They all say I “look normal” and don’t know why I’m still itching.

My primary OBGYN recommends I use clobetasol for 6-8 weeks then reduce to 3 days a week indefinitely! I’ve expressed concerns of this long term use to multiple docs and they act like it’s not a big deal. Upset that she isn’t digging any deeper.

Can contact dermatitis last this long? I really need help figuring out what this is so I can tackle the root cause. I don’t want to just mask it with Clobeasol indefinitely. I really need some direction. Anyone have any thoughts?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

It might be allergic reaction rather than contact dermatitis. did you use any new products lately like shampoo or soaps maybe? or some type of harsh detergent to wash your pants?

• Posted

No, I have not used any new products. The only thing "new" was the condom I used in June and July. I had the same itchy reaction 2 days after using them both times. This is how I recognized the condom was the first culprit. The other reaction I had was immediately after taking a bath. I started itching like crazy and then the light bulb went off that there must have been left over cleaning solution in the bathtub. Nothing else has happened since but the itch has never resolved.

• Posted

Then, maybe you allergic to certain latex or lubricant from the condom? Dermatitis would most of the time followed by a red rash or inflammation.

• Posted

Yes, I know it was the latex condom/lubricant however that was 2 months ago. Any redness that I may have had is long gone. I am still itching as if it happened yesterday.

• Posted

So basically It's kind of a remnant of the symptoms? Actually I never have found case like this before. One of long term clobetasol usage side effects are actually itchiness. Try to not use clobetasol for 2-3 days and see if problem persist.

• Posted

Yeah, every time I stop using it, I feel ok for about 2-3 days but then the itching comes right back strong as ever.

• Posted

Hi, I have been suffering from contact dermatitis for 3 months. I've haven't been able to put on pants and panties for 5 weeks now. I'm miserable. The cause is unknown. Mostly allergies but doctors kept telling me to put antifungal so my skin is burned and suffers from irritant contact dermatitis. I'm negative for everything. Steroids makes it worst. It doesn't itch but it burns like if you had pour acid on my genitals. I feel you dear.

You're skin has been through a lot of trauma. Anxiety and psychomatics syndroms may be in play. You'll need to find alternative ways to help your self. Meditation, cold bath, coconut oil. Do not put more Clobetasol if it's not inflamed and red.

I wish I knew the remedy... Hang in there.

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are going through this! I do not feel good about continuing to use clobetasol especially when there isn't anything visible showing on my vulva but nothing else has worked. I tried Desonide which is the lowest potent steroid cream and that didn't provide much relief. You are right that the anxiety I'm feeling needs get under control, I just need some clear direction.

• Edited

I agree with your concerns regarding using the Clobetasol. I had burning and itching after hysterectomy and had vaginal steroid injections after having vaginal and bladder pain, which made burning worse. Dr. told me to use Clobetasol on vulva for 8 weeks where it felt like it burned and itched. I continued to burn while using it and told the doctor but he told me to keep trying it. I was afraid to stop because it's supposed to be tapered and not stopped abruptly. It’s damaged my skin I now have dark red rash that looks almost raw with tiny bumps and another area that a dermatologist called erosion. I now have swelling and more severe itching and burning and cant put anything on as it burns. I've tested negative for everything so its not yeast. It's a nightmare. My anxiety is through the roof. It's been a year and a half. I hope you find an answer.

• Posted

Thank you for your personal insight on the long term use of Clobetasol. I didn't know it couldn't be stopped abruptly. I do not want to continue for 6 weeks. Have you been able to find anything at all that provides relief?

• Posted

You're welcome. The doctor who prescribed it relayed that information to me. I totally understand you not wanting to continue for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, no. I've been to several OBgyn's and have been given different treatment plans and the itching is worse. I also had a dermatologist who deals with vulvar issues prescribe me a different topical steroid. She said there may have been something in the Clobestasol that i was allergic to. I haven't used it. I'm to afraid at this point.

• Posted

Several dermatologists told me that if you don't see improvement with cortisone after 3-7 days... it's pointless to continue. Some people just don't respond to it.

I'm currently on antidepressent that act on the skin nerves to help calm it down.

• Posted

I didn't know that about the cortisone. I feel like my body responds but its temporary. I recently came across something called neurodermatitis, is that what you were diagnosed with? Does the antidepressant that you take to help the nerves take away other sensations during intimacy?

• Posted

My problem is external so my labias are inflamed but my vagina is fine. I have no official diagnosis at the moment. All parhologies were excluded by expert. It's a kind of dermatitis. It actually started in my anus and then my vulva but it became slightly worst every week. Antifungal and vaginitis treatment just set fire in there. Intimacy is absolutely out of the question... my boyfriend actualy left me because of that anyway.

The antidepressant is called Amitriptyline. Turns out that it's really bad for depression but good for the skin. It's prescribed for people with severe burn or severe herpes. I'm on my 8th day. It might take another week to kick in. It's a 30 days prescription only and a small dose.

• Posted

OK thank you for explaining, I really appreciate it. I pray this works for you.

• Posted

Thank you for the information. I wish I would have known that. I had asked the pharmacist after it burning for 3 weeks. They said it should have worked by then and to talk my doctor. When I did he told me to give it a few more weeks. I'm angry at myself for continuing. I also was prescribed a couple of antidepressants for skin nerves and they didn't work for me. I was also prescribed gabapentin and unfortunately that also didn't work for me.

• Edited

I just saw your message regarding the Amitriptyline. I wasn't prescribed that one but I recently found out a friend of mine was prescribed that many years ago and it helped her. Do you mind me asking what dose they have you on and if they told you when you should notice a difference? Also by chance does the skin on your labia have a red rash or is it just inflamed in general?

• Posted

Hi, I was prescribed 10mg. I don't see any difference yet but I believe I need a good two weeks for them to kick in. I have no rash, only redness. It feels and look like I have a sunburn. It doesn't hurt when I touch but every friction feels like I'm being burned.

• Edited

Thank you for the information. I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.