Constant Worry

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

So over the past year i have been having some abdominal issues, bloating, gassy, constipation, cramps and rib cage discomfort. The doctor said it was IBS as all my tests come back clear.

Pelvic Ultrasound

Abdominal Ultrasound

ECG

Chest X Ray

Blood Tests

Urine Sample

Stool Sample

CRP Blood test

Over the past 2/3 weeks i have been taking probiotics and inulin and my stomach definitely has started to feel better than it did but now i have this ache in my back that radiates around my waist and into my right hand rib cage. I often feel breathless with an accelerated hear rate. I have also been having night sweats, pretty much every night for the past couple of weeks. Im not waking up soaking wet but definitely wet enough to make the bed damp. I also have this know type feeling in my abdomen like strain or something, the joint in my right elbow hurts on and off also. I feel like this is taking over my life, im constantly worried, i wake up grumpy, moody, irritable, im impatient, cant concentrate and am short tempered. Im worried that i have carcinoid syndrome or lymphoma etc as alot of my symptoms match up.

Has anyone been through this or is going through this?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Back pain is an IBS symptom. Breathlessness and an increased heart rate can come from anxiety. All your tests are negative. I think if you had anything serious going on, it would have shown up on your tests and your doctor would have told you about it. Remember, the medications you have been taking have helped your IBS, so believe your doctor! Anxiety aggravates IBS and can cause pain in the body and sweating. Night sweats are also associated with the perimenopause/menopause if you are close to fifty.

Some people get rib cage pain with IBS and rib cage pain can also be caused by costochondritis which can start because of stress. Try not to google your symptoms; you will only get inaccurate results which will lead to anxiety. Only listen to your doctor. iBS symptoms can cause anxiety.

Try relaxation and distraction techniques for your health anxiety. Before my IBS diagnosis, I had terrible health anxiety due to googling symptoms and getting no diagnosis for three and a half months and I was convinced I had all sorts of serious conditions that had been missed. Once I got my diagnosis, my IBS went into remission and my health anxiety completely cleared up.

• Posted

I do believe i have health anxiety, i just sometimes find it hard to believe that alot of my symptoms can be caused by it? im 34 with a 4 year old and it has got worse since having him because as a mum you always think if anything happens to me what will he do. my aunt also got diagnosed with breast cancer after 16 months of false diagnosis, once she finally got told she had breast cancer it had spread to her liver, she is only 45.

• Posted

Anxiety can cause a lot of strange symptoms. Hormones can make IBS worse too. Looking after a young child can be very exhausting and stressful. Remember that you have been thoroughly tested and everything was normal. Normal results and improvements from the medication are very good signs. While serious conditions are sometimes missed, this does not happen to everyone. Try to accept your doctor's diagnosis. Constant worry will make your IBS worse.

• Posted

ive dealt with this to a T.. And unfortuanetly worry and stress makes it worse . in a year and a half ive had every blood work imagineable , a ct scan, ultra sound , colonoscopy , endoscopy, cystoscopy , urine tests, liver tests etc. guess what they found ? basically nothing . was told i have gerd and ibs . nothing scary , nothing serious , nothing life threatening . youve got to find a away to relax and get your life back . its really hard , trust me i know. there are days where you feel you have no control over it . but take peace in that you had thorough testing . also if you feel certain tests would give you peace of mind , continue to oush for them . dont feel embarassed or crazy , tell your doctor bluntly what you are worried about . you can get your life back and get in control of this , i have started to myself .

• Posted

I asked my doctor if he thought i needed a colonoscopy and he said no, i wasnt sure if i should request one or not. He said lets see what comes back from your CRP blood test and stool sample and they both came back clear so he doesnt think its necessary. I worry most days that theyve missed something

• Posted

One doctor wanted to redo all my tests to check nothing had been missed because everything was inconclusive. I go another opinion from my named doctor who told me that I didn't need any repeat tests since my symptoms were no worse in three and a half months and I hadn't developed any new ones. I accepted this and felt immediately better. I would listen to your doctor and trust him when he says that a colonoscopy is unnecessary especially since your recent test were clear.I spent three and a half f months worrying that something had been missed which was not the case. Don't listen to what your anxiety is telling you. Anxiety and IBS are linked because of the gut-brain axis.

• Posted

Hi killeen

How are your vitamins and minerals? You could have been describing me regarding the way you wake up until i started taking Vit D, Magnesium, Vit C and multivits plus Vit B12 which i get by way of 3 monthly injections because medication i take blocks B12 absorption....try taking the above if you don't already in particular Vit D and B12 for digestive problems......

• Posted

I dont take any supplements at all other than probiotics and inulin. My blood tests all came back ok. If i was lacking any vitamins and minerals would they not have shown up on my results?

• Posted

Hi Kileen

With a routine blood tests vits and minerals like Magnesium, Vit D and Vit B12 are not screened they have to be specifically ordered by your doctor. Under the 'Freedom of Information Act' you can request a copy of your blood test results from your doctor and check what was screened and the results for yourself....

• Posted

Hello, aside from test results and supplements. Take a look on your diet that causing your IBS and other symptoms. Are you eating more processed foods, lactose, chocolate, ice cream, milkshakes, dairy, milk, wheat, pasta, pizza since you were young? If yes, these are the major triggers of your IBS. And the best to do is to eliminate these on your diet so the rest of the symptoms like pain, night sweats, anxiety etc. will be gone. Dairy, refined flours from bread or pasta and fried foods are mucus producing that encourage toxins to accumulate in your colon or large intestine resulting to abnormal contractions of your colon. But rest assured there's NO inflammation going on in your intestine.

People with IBS are less tolerant with the pain so the number 1 they usually recommend is to take 1-2 enteric-coated peppermint oil capsule twice daily between meals to alleviate pain and cramping. If you don't like capsule, peppermint tea will work. Drinking water, fiber and activity helps your constipation. vegetable juice is a good way to eliminate toxins from your colon.

I definitely believe this is NOT carcinoid syndrome, lymphoma or any type of cancer because you have NO bleeding anywhere from your intestine base from the test results. I believe your Doctor is right that this is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which is NOT life-threatening.

• Posted

I find antispasmodic painkillers work more for my IBS; natural products do nothing for my pain and peppermint aggravates my reflux.Sometimes heartburn goes along with IBS.

• Posted

ALL GI drugs and chemicals did nothing to my gastrointestinal issues since grade school. My GI issues got even worst. So, I discarded what I learn in nursing school and open my heart to natural remedies. I'm glad I OPEN my mind to it. I study thoroughly on my own. I never went to Doctor since 2015.

• Posted

I have a lot of sensitivities to prescribed medication too. I have tried natural medications in the past for a variety of things but they simply don't work or give me side effects. I was very open to try alternative therapies such as chiropractory and deep tissue massage to treat old injuries but they caused a huge reaction that lasted nine months and eventually led to my IBS. I am all for natural remedies, but for me they are no use.

• Posted

FYI, chiropractic massage definitely WON’T lead to IBS. The main cause of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) is the accumulation of toxins in the colon or large intestine from food and some medications resulting to abnormal contractions of colon because the colon is trying to dispose it to protect the body from poisoning. That’s why a person with IBS have alternating diarrhea or constipation, the body is trying to expel toxins.

• Posted

Hi Naomi-04

Deep tissue massage does release toxins into the kidney and pancreas. It is documented that drinking water will help release the toxins from the kidneys and pancreas. Therefore, toxins will be trapped in the colon thus causing IBS. Tests and research are ongoing on the subject...

• Posted

Where are the toxins coming from? Isn't it from the the food that you eat? It's not from the massage. Also, IBS results after eating dairy, refined flours for SO MANY YEARS. Thus, deep tissue massage is NOT the main cause of it. It's the FOOD. So far, I didn't see the study on pubmed, so the study might be financed to present a false study.

• Posted

Hi Naomi-04

Did you read my post properly. The studies and research are still ongoing so until it is stated otherwise due to outcome of research, deep muscle massage can produce toxins and bring on IBS. This has been bourne out by a forum member pippa who has experienced just that. Let's just wait for trial and research results which are carried out involving IBS sufferers....

• Posted

There are quite a few causes of IBS. However, everyone experiences IBS differently and there is no single cause of IBS. Sometimes toxins and food are the cause, but in my case,the main cause was stress caused by the severe pain and mental stress of chiropractory and deep tissue massage, My doctor recognized my IBS as triggered by stress and nothing to do with food or toxins when I told him about the six months of stress I had experienced starting with chiropractory, deep tissue massage and an incompetent nurse botching a blood test done to establish why I had nine months of problems after chiropractory and massage. Personally, I don't believe toxins are released after these treatments. For me, it was an severe immune response which was never picked up by doctor because I never went back after my blood test injury which turned into permanent neuralgia.

• Posted

Both chiropractory and deep tissue massage did lead to my IBS. The accumulation of stress caused it within six months. IBS can develop six months after a stressful incident. The onset of my symptoms was no coincidence.

• Posted

Pippa now twist the factual information, making a story that IBS is NOT cause by food but by stress. OMG! Anything unabsorbed and hard to digest food should be eliminated because if they stay longer in the colon, they will decay, decay means they becomes poison to the body. This is now what happening to IBS, there are so many undigested food that stays longer that becomes TOXINS to the system, that's why it triggers the colon to contract in segmental and mass movement to throw these toxins, as a result, people with IBS usually have diarrhea or constipation or both.

So for Mary, you just created this statement from your imagination that toxins release from deep tissue massage will be trapped in the colon thus causing IBS, I can't even imagine how toxins will go through the peritoneum of the Gastrointestinal tract. In order for the toxins to pass through the colon, it must go internally, from mouth, stomach, small intestine, down to colon. I knew the original statement for this is that toxins release from the kidneys only, not to GI tract. Remember toxins should be huge enough to make the colon contacts not the tiny toxins that are trapped in the colon.

Stress is just the secondary reason for IBS not the main cause, otherwise, it's not IBS anymore, it could be indigestion, stress could also cause bloating and indigestion, and acne and many more.

Immune response is like out of nowhere in this subject of IBS.

Right now, I am not sure if I would regret replying to both of you. since both of you were like Pharisees, the wordly wise during the Roman empire. It's like trying to search for mistakes for every word in my statement rather than listening and understanding my thoughts. lels.

• Posted

Hi Naomi-04

I still stand by my reply regarding deep tissue massage can release toxins. So at this juncture we will agree to disagree....👍😊

Have a good day!....

• Posted

I didn't say that IBS is not caused by food. I said there are many different causes of IBS. Some people with IBS have trouble with digesting certain foods while others don't. IBS varies from person to person and there is no one single cause. If there was, there would have been a cure by now. Stress can be a secondary cause for some, but a main cause for others. I was diagnosed with stress related IBS which means that my doctor recognized that stress was the main cause for me. My symptoms were never triggered by food, but my brother's IBS was, and he had stress as his secondary cause.

• Posted

This can be a very confusing topic and I never really found out what the actual cause of my bad reactions to deep tissue massage was. My doctor was more interested in eliminating other conditions rather than listening to me when I told him that my symptoms began immediately after the treatment. To me it seemed that my immune system flared up and caused the side effects. It was certainly fighting something, very likely it detected a foreign agent in my system after the treatment and went into attack mode to defend me and expel the ememy.

I think my body was left in such weakened state that it couldn't shake off for nine months what the treatments left behind. I ended up with about five recurrences of the cold in a short period of time and even when I recovered from that, I had the botched blood test which threw my body into shock mode again and within two months, I got IBS because I couldn't cope with the stress of it.

I am aware that deep tissue massage may cause a release of toxins, however, this was was never mentioned or confirmed in my case, so I am unsure if this is what I experienced. Probably, it is different for everyone.

• Posted

Hi pippa58442

Our tissues can hold toxins. We breathe in toxins everyday which can get into our blood stream and be carried to and get trapped in our tissues which in turn can cause pain in our muscles and ligaments thus we get help from a chiropractor to get some relief from pain. The deep massage will in all probability release some of the toxins trapped there. Which in turn will go through our system into our colon which in turn will cause gut problems and IBS. We can have gut problems from food and anxiety which causes our gut to get out of zinc. Research is still ongoing so nothing is set in stone, but you have experienced it first hand. I do hope your stomach issues are kind to you and all is well with you...

• Posted

The joint pains I was trying to treat were all related to old injuries that were probably too long gone to be dealt with successfully.

As well as research suggesting that deep tissue massage is good for releasing toxins, there is also powerful evidence saying that the body has its own natural way of expelling toxins via the lymphatic system and there is no need for masseurs to try and force them out unnaturally where they will run riot in our bodies causing more problems. Unfortunately, we are not told this side of the story because alternative practioners want to sell us their services at huge financial cost.

The best truly safe natural treatment is heat because it doesn’t interfere with the body’s metabolism and doesn’t cause pain. Each of us, of course, should always do what we think is best for us, but at the same time I think it is only fair to warn people what they are getting into because chiropractors and masseurs and even doctors won’t.

Luckily, my IBS has settled down although I am having a prolonged bout of reflux and I am having to take lots of antacids to keep the heartburn cough at bay. Hope all is well with you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.