Constant worry about liver damage

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all 

I'm not even sure why I'm asking for advice as I know I should see my doctor but I think I'm looking for some either encouragement or reassurance. I've always loved a drink but it has definitely been a problem for me in the past and felt a bit out of control. I've always held down a demanding self employed job and am now a mother to a 2 year old which really helped at first, but now I find myself drinking a bottle of wine a night and feeling completely anxious about it and convinced I have a silent liver killing disease. I try and stop all the time and have recently taken up running and have managed 2-3 days a week without alcohol but I'm finding it so hard to stop. I think I'm generally depressed and have anxiety issues that are eased and then exasperated  through drinking. I find it really hard to be honest with anyone close to me about how I feel as they are either tee totallers or drinkers and I just don't feel like anyone understands. Any advice?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi tara i constantly worried about liver damage , i know i drink to much but i have anorexia and drinking takes the edge off the extreme anxiety. Im also like yoy cant be honest with anyone. My doctor knows and i have to have my bloods done every 4 weeks because of the anorexia so she checks my liver functions. I also take milk thistle twice a day which is supposed to help with liver . I know i need to cut back but always an excuse at the moment its the stress of Christmas? But afyer Christmas im going to ask about the sinclair method !! Not sure if available on nhs? I guess the only way forward is being honest im just not ready for that because of the anorexia . Good luk
    • Posted

Hi biker,

The Sinclair Method is available on the NHS but it isn't referred to as 'The Sinclair Method'.  It's tough to get, mostly because of the mindset that is prevelant within the NHS, but it is there and you can get it.

Get in touch with me when you are ready and I can help you negotiate the NHS to get yourself assessed to see if the medication is suitable for you.

Joanna

C3 Foundation Europe

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying, totally understand what u mean about making excuses about Christmas etc, there's always something right?! I managed a good day yesterday with just 2 drinks but drank a bottle of wine tonight and a little shot of rum, I don't feel drunk or anything, just relaxes me but I know it's not healthy. How did you start the conversation with your doctor about the drinking and liver tests? Great that you are having your liver function tested regularly. I'm feel too stupid to go to my doctor with it, like it's not a valid problem even though I know in my heart of hearts it is! Also worry that if I get good liver function results I'll just use it as an excuse to drink although would be a massive weight off my mind. I've heard milk thistle is good maybe I should start that too. Hoping to do a dry January but who knows if I can stick to it! Thanks again for replying and good luck x 

• Posted

Hi tara i have had a lot of mh issues and my doc knows i drink, she is an amazing doctor really dont think i would be here without her. I have to have regular bloods done because of the anorexia and the affect its having generally. Hopefully like me when you feel ready you can try the sinclair method x always here to chat
    • Posted

Have you tried The Sinclair Method at all bikerjools?? I am having great success with it myself.
    • Posted

No i havent tried yet im in a really bad place at the moment mentally and physically!! Im hoping to give it a go after Christmas just need to talk to my doctor, im really struggling with this God awful disease anorexia at the moment and just dont feel ready
  • Posted

Hi tara,  I also had trouble controlling my drinking, and I was drinking way more than was safe. I then stumbled across The Sinclair Method which has truly helped me cut right down in consumption.  After a few months on this medication, Naltrexone, using it the way The Sinclair Method describes, targeted specifically at blocking the reward of the alcohol, I have found now I can have 2 drinks and say 'that's enough for me tonight'.. unheard of before.  Here is a link for more info on it if you would like to look more into it. [b]https://www.cthreefoundation.org/home[b].html    If anyone wants this medication, they can go to their doctor and talk about it and the doctor will decide I suppose if you need a liver test.  I have been drinking along time, one to two bottles of wine on some occasions, and my liver tests were ok, if that is any consolation.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi faith, this is the first I've heard of Sinclair method and sounds interesting! I'm going to do some research. Especially if you can have a couple of drinks and decide that's enough as that's my biggest struggle, once I start I just want to carry on! And thank you for sharing that you also drink one or two bottles and liver tests were ok, I live in hope! Sometimes I think I'm fine and sometimes my anxiety takes over which of course alcohol doesn't help with x 

• Posted

It is an interesting method for helping with alcohol use disorder.  For this to work, you take the medication and MUST then drink (after waiting the recommended time, one hour for Naltrexone, and I think it is two hours if taking the Nalmefene). It produces, over the months, an unlearning, a disinterest in alcohol.  There is more to it than I can go into, but there is lots of reading material available to you on the sites above in previous posts on this subject. I am glad I could give you another option to consider. smile
  • Posted

For what it's worth drinking is a silent killer yes ma'am I just lost my sister in July I watched her suffer for over two years I watch her swell so bad that she went from 168lbs to over 325lbs in water weight gain I watch her bleed from her mouth her rectum she was pooping nothing but blood her mind was going in and out her levels stayed out of wack because her liver was so bad it affected her kidneys I watched her die slowly it killed me and her two precious little girls that I am now raising please give it up it's not worth it the last few days of my sister life she was facing her angels of death she was hearing and seeing things her last day was when she was at dyalis they rushed her to the emergency room her blood pressure dropped very low from that point they flew her to the next city when the doctor came in he said could he be frank with us those words I never wanted to

• Posted

When the doctor said we had one of two options either keep her comfortable but 9/10 she would be gone by the next day or they could put her on the surgery table but 9/10 she wouldn't make it off the table so you see I to suffered because I was losing my sister either way due to her drinking and if you think my story ends there well your wrong two months later I lost my brother I thank God everyday I don't have the desire to drink but I wanted to share with you all alcohol is very harmful to you and the ones who love you it's not and never will be easy to watch a loved one die such a horrible death stop please get help please I'm praying for you all God bless you sorry my story ended up in two parts but it sent before I got finished good luck to you all God bless

• Posted

Hi Monique 

Thanks so much for replying and I'm so sorry to hear your painful story, you've made me realise how awful it'd be if anything happened and my family had to suffer. Wishing you all the best bringing up your sisters children, they are lucky to have you, you must be a very strong person. 

Thank you for your good luck wishes xx

• Posted

Poor you Monique! Truly shocking story. Your sister and bother gone within a few months. Your are brave for carrying on and coping. I stopped nearly 5 yrs ago since I felt and knew that I was drinking massive amounts for 30+ years! Better now. Thanks for your heartfelt reply Robin

• Posted

Hello tara54562 

My name is Gina I am living with my adult son who finds it difficult to di the same.I feel he is also feeling the way u do about quitting alcohol.He knows it's a problem and struggles to stay sober.I've noticed him reaching out more something he never did before.He is on utube listening to others who have gone through it and its working for him. I've seen him slow down alot he has been drinking almost everyday for 10 years and he's trying. I tell him take it ONE DAY AT A TIME don't think about tomorw or next week just get through today that's it! He's doing so much better and it helps to have a higher power too?God bless you my prayers are with you!                                 Gina

• Posted

Hi Gina

Thanks for replying. One day at a time Is great advice. Your son is lucky to have you supporting him, I know how hard it must be for family members. Thank you for the support and prayers, I hope he finds his way through the struggle too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.