Constant worry of doom

Posted , 3 users are following.

My physical symptoms are so SCARY!! Weird sensations in the area of my heart and palpitations. Also a weird twitching near the top of my left rib cage. I was out of breath talking earlier, and I feel like I'm breathing like someone who has smoked for 60 years. I feel extremely lightheaded too! I keep thinking I'm going to die! I can deal with thoughts of anxiety well but the physical symptoms that are so worrying just feed me with more fear. I was suppose to have a ECG test today to reassure me that my heart is fine, but the machine was broke and I think this is what has made my anxiety so bad todaysad I was literally just out with my friend and all I could think of was that sometime tonight I'll need to call the paramedics

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I also took zopiclone for the first time last night and I truly believe my anxiety feels worse because of it. I'm not sure it even helped me sleep!
  • Posted

I never had heart palpitations or loss of breath,but I never feared heart failure.I did get the twitches and lightheadedness tho. Anxiety latches on to your biggest fears,mine was neurological disorders,so I had all sorts of weird symptoms.

How are you sleeping?

• Posted

That's true anxiety is a big bully! Sleeping hasn't been the best for me this week as at the start of the week I only slept 2-3 hours over 2and half days. Then my GP gave me those sleeping pills but I'm definitely not taking one tonight, hopefully I'll calm myself down enough to sleep tonight
    • Posted

I was getting an hour if that for months,it drove me potty, I thought I was going to crack up. I started taking 3 one-a-night Nytol,even then I'd be lucky to get three hours kip. I started to see red traces and lost all my strength. Once my sleep improved my symptoms improved,natural sleep is so important to the recovery of anxiety.
    • Posted

Yes, sleep is so important to the recovery of anxiety.  I was barely getting a couple of hours a night, I would just clock watch all night.  My Doctor prescribed me 25mg of Quetiapine before bed each night  and I've gotten a good eight hours since with none of that drowisness when I woke him.  It is not a typical sleep aid but more of an antidepressant.   I also know that there are a lot of natural sleep remedies such a Valerian that you could try.  Just one word of warning, don't give valerian or melatonin to young kids as it can cause serious allergic reactions.
    • Posted

I'm fine now, I got over my anxiety some years back,I just stumbled onto this site,and remembered how rotten anxiety was. I think my daughter may be taking after me,she's only 14 and she's already worrying about her health. I'm terrified she'll suffer like some of the youngsters on this forum. Some on here have had their childhood stolen by anxiety,and are still suffering 30+ years later.
    • Posted

How did you eventually get over the anxiety ? Yeah growing up a teen with anxiety is strange I never had panic or obsessions with health then it was more social
    • Posted

I tried medication for three months,it didn't effect my mood whatsoever (good or bad).Tried counselling, didn't finish the sessions as the councillor was a plonker. I just woke up one day and said I've had enough,I gave my computer away as I couldn't trust myself not to google,started working out,and kept myself occupied by doing overtime and taking my daughter out whenever I had time on my hands. It wasn't easy, it took between 6-8 months to recover. All-in-all I reckon I suffered for about 12-14 months,which is nothing compared to some.

• Posted

I'm kinda glad none of my GPs have gave me medication as of yet because I wanna try overcome it without it first. I do start counselling very soon so hopefully I have a decent one. But that's a good shout I need to stop myself googling stuff on my phone!!! But yeah I went gym 4-5 times a week before it was severe and I've stopped now which isn't good but I definitely agree keeping occupied is best and I'm ready for the months of head of recovering back to my 'normal' self. I'm glad you shared this tho it's nice hearing someone overcome it. Props man.
  • Posted

Oh no, so sorry to hear your still suffering fab. My worst period was also while I was waiting for a test to be sorted out, and to be fair I wouldn't have coped well at all if for some reason they couldn't have done it. For days I just felt like my whole world was going to come crashing down around me because of the results of the test. Some of the things I was imagining seem so ridiculous when I look back from the other side, so I know it's hard, but honestly it probably IS anxiety and the test will be fine. Lack of sleep is fuelling the fire - I was spiralling into utter chaos after a few nights with no sleep! Im pretty sure I nearly had a full nervous breakdown! I think give a sleeping pill one more try. As others have said sleep is so important and valerian just won't cut it when your in that kind of state! When you feel a bit better, switch to herbal tablets, im using boots sleepease valerian tablets now and they do work but they wouldn't have helped at all when I was at my worst a few weeks ago! You need to try and get one good, full nights sleep to reset you back to centre
    • Posted

Yup that's exactly what it is and it's strange how fast mood can change. Last night I was fearing I was dying and now I'm here eating breakfast looking forward to going to church in a bit. Now I realise how silly I was last night, but the fear feels so real! I actually slept last night around 7 hours without a sleeping pill so I think the insomnia was a very temporary thing. My friend said she will give me some herbal stuff for sleep, I can't remember what it's called but I'll give it a try. Thanks for replying smile
    • Posted

It feels SO real that's what I think other people really don't understand! It absorbs you. Anyway it's great you got some sleep last night, that will help. Try the herbal tablets and get into a good routine - going to bed at the same time every night, getting into bed a bit early and read or do breathing exercises for a bit, no caffeine after midday, I have a camomile tea before bed and I have a pillow spray that I find quite relaxing. Silly things and probably psychological but they can really help all the same. Hopefully you'll feel much better after your test/blood results
    • Posted

7 hours? I can't remember the last time I've had 7 hours sleep,and I'm over my anxiety. I've posted this countless times but I'll leave it again just in case you missed it

I remember going the Doc's and this was at my lowest points. She sat me down and said "a mouse and an elephant are both mammels,they both have 2 eyes,a nose,four legs and ears,yet they're nothing alike,just because you share a couple of symptoms from an illness doesn't mean you've got that illness". My recovery started then.

• Posted

Yeah I most certainly agree! I will take your advice in terms of sleeping for sure! Yeah the day of my results couldn't come sooner haha! But thanks for sharing your kind words it's much appreciated x
    • Posted

Ah man I feel for you in terms of the sleep it's must be horrible.

Wow I wish someone said that to me sooner cause it's so so true! Thanks for that man it makes so much sense

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.