Constant yeast infections

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 16, I've been dealing with yeast infections almost my entire life. I used to get them when I was younger but as I got older they have been more constant and worse. I once noticed discharge on my vulva but I don't believe it was yeast, I think it was the cream I was putting on to get rid of the infection. I never notice itching or pain in or around my vagina, it's always around my vulva. I've taken the pills and used the cream I was prescribed by my doctor to get rid of the infection multiple times but it won't go away. I am not sexually active so this can't be an STD. I have a pelvic exam scheduled as well. Does this sound like a yeast infection or is this something else? Is there something else I can do?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am having the same problem. I had a vaginal culture done and it came back as yeast-no bacteria. I have tried the oral medication, diflucan which did not clear it. I am now on my third round of Terconazole, a vaginal anti-fungal cream. Today the doctor's nurse recommended Yeastgard, a vaginal douche. I will try it to see if it completely clears it. If not, I have to return to the dr. for further evaluation.

I wish you luck. Let me know if you get complete relief. I will, as well.

• Posted

Yeasts are part of the normal flora of the mouth, gut, and vagina. An overgrowth of yeasts occurs mostly in patients with a compromised immune system (for example while taking corticosteroids) or with an altered microflora (for example after a course of antibiotics). 

In an acute phase, medical treatment is recommended as maryann35553 suggested.

If you are able to consume milk products, then I would recommend regularly eating yoghurt or even better (homemade) kefir. If store bought then make sure they contain live lactobacillus strains. Instead of eating a pot of yoghurt every few weeks it is better to have two spoons of kefir every day. Acid resistant bacteria in soured milk products can pass through the stomach and colonise your gut and eventually vagina. 

They will help prevent yeast infections long term by creating a slightly acid environment (in which yeast does not thrive). 

If you are milk intolerant then consider taking lactobacillus capsules. There are even probiotic suppositories that can be used intravaginally. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.