Constantly breaking finger nails

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some of my finger nails break or crack very easy nowadays. They tend to crack 'vertically' back towards the fingers, not across the nails. The added problem is the crack doesn't seem to grow out in most instances. I regularly trim the nails so that i am cutting out the crack, but it continues to stay cracked! I am assuming that my nails have got weaker and more brittle as i've got older (i'm 65) but i don't know anybody else who has the same problem. Can anybody shine some light on this for me?

Thank you.

John.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a problem with my nails and my hair when I was vitamin d deficient. I know take vitamin d daily and my nails took a while to get back to normal but they are fine now. Ask for a vitamin d test.

• Posted

I have vitamin D on prescription and it has made my nails rock hard. They can break across because they are not at all bendy, but my nails have never looked so good.

• Posted

You probably need to start taking Biotin. I take 20,000 mcg daily. It helps your hair also.

Also, as we age, that can happen.

Anemia is famous for causing vertical cracks in our nails. Have you been checked for anemia?

One other cause is damage from wearing acrylic nails. If you wore those at one time, could that have started it?

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I did chuckle at the thought of wearing acrylic nails. As a man it's not something i've ever considered!

Your other comments have given me something to think about, and i will check things out. Thanks, John

• Posted

Lol! I didn't even pay attention to your name. Maybe you should try it, lol! 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.