Constantly feeling and thinking about where my tongue is in my mouth and if my fingers are touching.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, similar to how people have trouble when they breathe manually, my mind is constantly fixated on where my tongue is in my mouth and if my fingers are touching and if they're touching my clothes. It's very annoying and distracting, and diverts my attention from other things. Occasionally I'm successful in taking my mind off it, but usually when I'm happy my mind focuses on the position of my tongue and where my fingers are once again. Has anyone else experienced this? How do I avoid such sensations?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I am sorry you are feeling like this. This is going to take some mental discipline to get you to stop worrying about this. I had a similiar experience where I constantly thought my throat was closing up or that I had something stuck there. You have to ignore it, no matter how hard it is. You have to keep your mind on something else. In the back of your head you have to know your tongue is there where it should be and so are your fingers. You do not have to keep checking. They are not going anywhere without great pain which you will definitely know about if it happens. Its mind over matter. You have to be reasonable and rational, just because we have anxiety does not exclude us from thinking rationally. Physically everything is where it should be and your mind, somewhere in there, your mind knows this. You have to just keep telling yourself your mind is playing tricks on you and everything is fine. Catch yourself worrying about, stop and immediately think about your favorite song or poem. You have to trigger a memory as soon as you feel your tongue or fingers touching themselves. If you dont get what I am saying, maybe you should consider a good therapist to help you with mind over matter theory. You can beat this, and it may be easier than you think.

• Posted

This is signs of Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) Have you ever been diagnosed with this disorder?

• Posted

I have similar experiences, when I try and go to sleep at night I struggle. I have to keep opening my eyes to see what id be looking at if my eyes were open! It's so strange. I also have this constant urge to rip all the skin off my bottom lip I'm forever making my lips bleed. I've been doing this ever since I was a child and I'm 33 now. it has got worse since lockdown and I'm always convinced I'm dying. I have a lot of trouble with my stomach will I'll be having tests for after covid 19s gone away and I'm also covered in blood spots which I'll show my gp once there open again, they said they should be open in 2 to 3 months. It's just waiting, my anxiety is through the roof and I'm scared for my life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.