Constantly feelng sick for 2 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Im a 23 year old male and iv spent the last 2 years feeling constantly sick. Some days i don't feel too bad and then some days i feel physically awful. Its stopped me from doing many things that i used to love doing, i used to travel alot, go out for meals with friends, go on holidays etc but because of the way i feel i can no longer go through it without feeling really sick. Iv never been sick ( since iv been feeling like this ) but cane very close many times. Iv been to the doctors a number of times and put it down to anxiety and acid reflux, iv been tested for cancers and diabetes and ibs but all came back negative, iv tried counselling but that didn't help and iv tried alot of tablets that didn't do much either. Anybody got any answers to what may be making me feel sick so much? Please?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, It sounds like anxiety and acid reflux to me and the tests were unlikely to show up anything else. It is very unusual for someone of 23 to get those things and they dont fit with your symptoms. Research into anxiety and acid reflux and try other things that help with that. It takes time, I had to research for hundreds of hours before I got a grip on my problem, but it is worth it.
    • Posted

Iv tried all that before, i went to counselling for my anxiety for 12 weeks and it didn't really help, im taking lansoprazole for my stomach acid, i think it helps the nausea slightly but i still feel sick very often
    • Posted

I doubt you have spent hundreds of hours researching anxiety and the various medications that are natural and unnatural for it. Very few people do. And that is the way forward.
  • Edited

Hi david let me tell you my expetience and this is the truth,

2009 - I dropped from 12 stone to 10.5 stone I felt awful and got worried spending most of my day worrying and when I didnt think I was worrying ie sleeping etc subcontiencely I was, the thort of can@er constantly ran through my head: it dug me a very deep hole with various symptoms appearing fast

1) nausea every hour/minute of the day

2) lack of appetite

3) drastic weight loss to 9.5 stone

4) constipation and diareah

5) chest pains

6) liver function/thyroid function abnormalities

And the list goes on

I had 100's of tests including endoscopy, colonoscopy, xrays of which all revealed no abnormalities

I went through hell for 2 and half years and eventually went to see a cognital behaviour therapist eventually I started to feel better nut it took a very long time, stress/anxiety wether noticed or not can play havoc with your body to get round this you need to eat a healthy diet and excercise and relax

I am now going through similar issues again 5 years later ie sour stomach weight loss and pain, I have just had a endoscopy again which showed by the report no serious pathology and have been told I need to relax and get bad thoughts out of my head,

Ironically I have been very stressed at work and had a very poor diet again, im still weary about my symptoms because I feel sonill every day but im gunna take steps to improve my health again

We spend days/years/months worrying about what could be but we should really plug thru and improve our lifestyle to see if that helps

What will be will be

• Posted

Really interesting but some people are not stressed or worried about anything other than the illness itself. And they have a reason for their reflux such as the valve not working or diet rather than anxiety so cognitive behavioural therapy would not help them.
    • Posted

But surely if i had a valve problem i would be being sick? I know someone who had a valve problem and she was sick almost everyday from it. I do panic from it especially when im driving ( incase i was travel sick, which i never have been ) and Il admit i do have a fear of sickness but the constant feeling of it has made me afraid if it
    • Posted

When i went to my doctors a few months ago he said i have acid reflux due to anxiety and poor diet
    • Posted

Which means you can sort out the anxiety and diet. Other people have other reasons for theirs and different symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi David

Just a thought, but have you been tested for H-pylori?  I was having nausea and tested positive for H-pylori.  Also have you tried taking ginger for nausea?  Ginger is known to be good for this.  I am currently drinking tea made with fresh ginger regularly.  You could try it as an experiment to see if alleviates the symptoms, although I understand you want to also find out what's causing the nausea.

• Posted

Yes i was tested last year and it came back negative, and iv tried eating raw ginger, ginger jam and ginger tea but to be honest i really don't like the taste of it so it made my nausea worse
  • Posted

Just in case re your anxiety, which is understandable, try looking up I Love Panic attacks .com by a man callled Geert, he does a CD course and some very helpful video clips you can watch, may help you to get some control back he is very good.  Also I heard Fennel tea helpful, I am about to try some for my continual bloating problems which occured after a week long course of antibiotics for H Pylori which have wiped out all my good gut flora and left me with Candida/thrush which I've been trying to get rid of for over 6 weeks now doctors do not seem to be able to get on top the problem or seem particulary bothered but it's not their tongue that's sore and cracked with thrush all over it, (would not have taken the antibiotics if I knew this was going to happen, I have since found more natrual ways to get rid of H Pylori) so having to use own research and dietry methods.
    • Posted

I don't think iv been tested for h pylori, perhaps it wont hurt to get myself checked for it, and iv never drank fennel tea either so i could give that a go, my symptoms are just a horrible sick feeling all the time and i sometimes get stomach pain and no appetite, believe me my life would be much better without it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.