Constantly find myself making up negative scenarios in my head

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everybody I was just wondering if someone could help me identify what this is or maybe relate...

I am always finding myself making up negative scenarios in my mind.. Not even knowing I'm doing it. For instant trance.. Whenever I'm driving I always see myself getting into an accident and then having someone call my fiancé and have to tell him I died or that I was very hurt in the hospital after an accident or that I was just plainly in an accident and then see him come flying to the scene. Or I think of seeing him at my funeral after that... Or somethin else like thinking of the scenario that my brother didn't wake up one morning and he OD on drugs. Having to call his girl fend. Or about id anything God forbid happened to my grandma and how that would all go... It's really all vivid and very thought out whenever this happens it's crazy... It really scares me to catch myself constantly finding myself thinking about this stuff.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can totally relate to this.

Many a times I end up imagining the extreme of scenarios in a possible situation,like I might get into a grisly accident every time I am out on the road,what if I will be abducted when I go out for a walk or maybe there is an intruder lying await for his victim everytime I get up early in the morning.

Sometimes I do find it difficult to convince myself that they are just scenarios created in my head and not happening in reality,then I end up thinking that there's always a tiny possibility of the scenario being right sometime.

• Posted

Wow your first scenario pretty much paints what I imagine while driving at times, I start thinking of the actual words the doctor would tell my girlfriend or family and can vividly see them running out to the cars. I can honestly say I thought I was the only one who imagined that sort of thing. How is everything now? I just started seeing a therapist again.
  • Posted

I have something similar but more sinister and macabre. If I'm alone with my thoughts for any length of time, I start imagining scenarios in my head which grow n start to feel real. To the point where I'm grinding my teeth and my hearts doing overtime! The scenarios are always really f****d up and intense but my reaction to this is much worse. I step by step go over what I'm going to do in graffic detail in retaliation. Even down to how I'm gonna time each event and what method of torture I'm gonna use. That's why I can't be left alone and the only way I can get rid of these mental landmines is exercise with weights. It gets rid of my anxiety too. Try it

• Posted

so ive recently came to the conclusion that I have anxiety (thats lead to depression) I've been dealing with this for about 8 months now.. at first I thought it was a mind thing so I was letting it run its course for about 2 months.. I thought maybe it was a MIND THING ... I have this huge fear of losing my mother and my grandmother .. it would come and go @ 1st it didn't last long in the past but as the months went by it started to take over my life .. I have these feelings everyday all day about losing them.. they raised me and they spoiled me (they are my best friends!!!!!!) and I don't know where I would be without them.. its starting to interfere with my daily life only thing I wanna do is sleep in late.. and its gotten so bad that every time i hear the word of death or a illness i pray that this doesn't happen to them idk where I would be w/o them.. I pray to god about more than 15 times a day to keep them safe.. I finally opened up about the anxiety and fear about last week.. I even told my mom and grandmother I couldn't keep it to myself no more! im not sucidal at all , but it has gotten me in a depressed state & its like every since I opened up about it , it makes it worse.. I can't stop thinking about it & sometimes MY MIND MAKES ME THINK SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THEM & PUT THOUGHTS IN MY HEAD LIKE SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THEM & the thoughts won't go away... everyday I feel guilty because my mind thinks I want them dead BUT thats not the case at all ... my thoughts have token over my mind completely into thinking they will die just because of spin so much time thinking about death & fear.. Its the negative thoughts thats taking over my brain and having me feeling guilty that I want them dead but however thats not the case I think about losing them so much that my thoughts is putting negative s**t in my head. I feel guilty everyday bout this its not going no where... my mom & grandma are my best friends and I would never ever ever want anything to happen to them. they are my best friends, my world.. idk what I would do if I lose them its gotten me to depression because im scared and fearful I call and or txt about 5-6 times a day to make sure they are still alive and breathing I would be so hurt if anything happen to my woman.. its starting to take a toll OVER me and I feel like I have no control OF THESE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS iI want my mom and grandma to live forever and idk where I would be w/o them and it HAUNTS ME EVERYDAY. tired of feeling like this I just wanna be happy and worry LESS, stress, depression, and anxiety free. 

• Edited

I see this is an old post, but to address what many of you are seeking that describes this habit, the phrase 'Mental Shadowboxing' comes to mind: to play out a scenario in order to prepare for what may occur. Unfortunately it's all to easy to develop a habit of this, not necessarily OCD-based, that after time becomes an automatic response before ever engaging in conflict or even passive, non-threatening engagement. This is also a primary component of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Now before you go obsessively self-diagnosing (and that's a whole other issue), understand habits can be undone. As I've fought with my own obsessive shadowboxing for years, I'm learning to shut down the daydreams that lead to unrealistic expectations. More often than not, the person I'm about to meet and/or converse with is on a completely different page than my assumptions. For me to think I fully know what's on their mind is arrogant. Despite being a highly perceptive individual, people I've known for decades often surprise me with their opposite train of thought.

When we allow pre-confrontation daydreams to heighten our emotions, it's all too easy to lose control of ourselves and our responses because expectations don't match the scenario. We find ourselves live-on-air resetting, which can be embarrassing and make us look foolish, while likely damaging the good relationships we deeply desire. It takes the fortitude to tell ourselves, "STOP" before it gets too far, while remembering the importance of empathy or walking in their shoes.

Most people have good intent and want to maintain a good relationship with you. And usually it's okay and intelligent to rehearse a bit before confrontation. Just remember to take a deep breath, recall the other person's or situation's value, the reasons why you respect and/or love the subject, and don't take those thoughts too far or you may find yourself walking into a situation with your fists at the ready where a hug has been waiting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.