Constantly on edge

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

​I've suffered from GAD for many years, had CBT, Mindfulness, EMDR and numerous medications, including Beta Blockers, Anti Depressants , Pregabalin etcetc. but none of them actually works!!! The only thing that takes the edge off and calms me down enough to function "normally"  Diazepam, but my Doctor will only prescribe it for very short spells at low doses...so, I get some relief for a few days then it's back to square one- I'm constantly on a knife edge, liable to have a panic attack over the slightest thing. I also don't sleep well- I keep waking at 2a.m. with pounding heart etc. and can't get back to sleep, so I feel almost permanently exhausted. The amitryptilene my GP prescribed don't help, and zopiclone makes me feel like a zombie, so I really don't want to have to use it. However,  I'm beginning to feel desperate-will this horrible feeling of impending doom never ease off? Can anyone suggest ANYTHING that might help, please?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

p.s. I am also Hypothyroid, taking 100mg Levothyroxine daily, and take 80mg Fluoxetine for Depression. Could either/both of these medications be what's causing this constant anxiety???
  • Posted

Hey, I don't really have any tips but sometimes pills are not always the answer.
    • Posted

yes,I believe you are right.  Just about everything has side effects.   Pills for everything these days.  Big pharma loves to make us sick
  • Posted

hello elizabeth.  please tell me about your betablocker expereince.  Has a doctor ever told you you are possibly Drug Naive?.  Some people just flat out do not react to drugs like most people do.  Beta blockers have a propensity to interact negatively with many medicatons.  Betapace is the #1 offender for negative reactions with other meds.  Everyone should google this:  Medical and Prescription errors are one of the top 4 reasons for death in the world.  400000 persons per year die from medical mistakes- that is 400 thousand.  People who tell you to just do what your doctor says like a good little person need to become pro-activce in their treatments.  Read the literature that comes with medications before you take them.  Find out if your medication squares with the other medications you are taking.  Doulbe check with your pharmacy to make sure the new meds your doctor prescribes are safe to take with the older medications you are taking.  Be aware that doctors make mistakes that actually cost people their lives each and every day.  Proactive is the word.  Everytime I get a new medication I tell the doctor up front that I will start off taking only a quarter of a dose unless he tells me or the pharmacy tells me it is a drug that cannot be split into halves or quarters.  This actually saved my life not once but twice.

I was prescribed adderall to boost my metabolism and in this case the pharmacis noticed I take a Beta Blocker and he suggested I take half a dose.  I did and not long after I was in intensive care for the next 5 days and nights fighting for my life. .  The other time I got a cream for arthritis in my finger-directions said to put five drops on finger and rub in with a gloved hand.  I put two drops and 20 minutes later I felt like the proverbial elephant sat on my chest.  Oh-I just remembered another instance of medical error.

I am allergic to contrast dye.  Almost died when I went into anaphalactic shock.

Doctor in ICU said:  Never let them give you contrast dye again should anyone ever ask to do another MRI with contrast.

A month later my gastro doctor wanted to get that MRI so he wrote w contrast-Gadolinium.  I said-no sir-I can't take contrast dye.  He said this is new.  Not to worry. 1 chance out of 10 million or something like that.  You think I wasn't mad when I couldn't breathe and my face felt like a thousand bees were stinging it and my lips?  He came to see me in the ICU and said I should have warned him!  The dog!  Yes.  We are not doctors but the fact remains we have a say in our care.

It is possible for someone to be drug naive and have opposite reactions to what drugs are supposed to do.  If anyone disagrees just google how many people die each and every year from medical and prescription errors each and every year.  Okay?

• Posted

It doesn't seem you've had any actual talking therapy. CBT is not very effective for a lot of people,theres other types of therapy out there which will be more effective. Worth asking for a different branch of therapy
  • Posted

hi is the low dose 2 mg or 5mg? im the same except that i wake up every morning with morning anxiety i was put on citalopram but s e were terrible jus lately i use really low doses of xanax this ir the 2nd day today. jus have to wait and see if it helps or not
    • Posted

2mg, Elaine- and after the first day of taking them, I have to cut them in two, so my 2mg ration can come in divided 1mg doses. I had bad S.E. with citalopram too- ditton quetiapine, which is I beleive, an anti psychotic drug, rather than one for anxiety.

​I think you may be right, Fr

Rank- all these drugs are probably just making us feel even worse- but I've tried the various "Talking therapies", as I said, plus muscle relaxtion, visualisation, "happy place" etc. etc. and not one of them has improved things- so I'm sure you'll unerstand why I'm feeling totally at a loss about where to go from this point.

• Posted

yes i know exactly how ure feeling ive had all the anxiety symptons 1 after the other after an ear virus 9 months ago plus tinnitus in my right ear i wake up with mornimmg anxiety every morning and that spoils my day conrtantly on edge and worrying constantly abov my health ive had all the symptons of all the cancers. and now ive got hyperventilation. u name it i got it 24/7 what are ur symptons?
    • Posted

Morning anxiety, headache- often turns into migraine- IBS, bloating, shaking hands, multiple aches and pains for no identifiable reason, feeling irritable, can''t cope with "normal" life stresses-difficulty staying asleep- usually wake at about 2a.m. with pounding heart, frequent vivid bad dreams about past events- oh and apparently I alos grind my teeth while I am sleeping. Quite the collection!!!
    • Posted

This all sounds very familiar. I have had a stressful couple of years and to crown it all my husband of 19 years walked out on me a couple of weeks ago.  I'm in shock and not coping at all well.  I have been having reflux symptoms since last September and the whole of my disgestive system is affected.  I've been diagnosed with border line inflammatory bowel disease,

diverticular disease and have IBS. Plus a lot of the symptoms you mentioned.  The doctor's seem to think I'm a head case!  Maybe I am.  I think though that I must have subconsciously realised that something has been going on and maybe it all has registered in my gut.  I feel that I'm really just living from minute to minute and feel so alone with all this.  Sorry to go on and thanks for reading. I hope and pray that we can get on top of this.

• Posted

Have you ever tried Buspar? My psych just put me on it, but I haven't tried it yet. I think she's trying to get my Paxil to possibly start working again by adding Seratonin. I take clonazepam .5 mg in the morning.
    • Posted

No, never tried Buspar. I'm interested to hear how you get along with it. So many different drugs- sometimes I wonder whether we're actually making our anxiety problems worse, shoving them into our bodies. But then again, seeing as the "natural" solutions I've tried to date haven't helped in the slightest bit, what choices do we all have?
    • Posted

Therapy is really the only option to resolve anxiety and have a chance of stopping it. Meds are just like taking painkillers, it helps the symptoms but does nothing to actually heal
    • Posted

The problem is, I've had multiple courses of therapy, as I indicated in my initial post, and I've also got numerous books and CDS which are aimed at giving me the tools to make me more relaxed and able to cope when I get stressed. Unfortunately, they don't work! It may be my fault, or the therapists' fault - I don't know. I may just not have been referred for the "right" kind of therapy with the "right" therapist, to help me cope with my stress symptoms, but in the meantime, as I've said, I'm struggling. Do you have any suggestions as to what sort of therapy might work?
    • Posted

Finding the right therapist true is important, but also the tight type.of therapy. Psychotherapy is different from psychology which is different from psychiatry. Each discipline also had many different implementations, CAT is a very effective therapy, CBT which is most common is next to useless for long term issues
    • Posted

CAT is cognitive analytical therapy, it focuses on finding the reasons why anxiety is a problem from when it started and resolving it,wheras CBT really is about just different ways of distraction - which for many doesn't actually work. There really are many other therapeutic options, ask for a referral to Psychotherapy and tell them CBT didn't work and ask for other options, there really are countless
    • Posted

i used buspar a long time ago. It takes a while to kick in i liked it a lot. Then i weaned off it abiut a year later with no issues at all. Its good on GAD. 
    • Posted

Cat is cbt based plus therapy in one. Its more put together which makes sense. A good cbt counselor makes a big difference too. It has to be taught carefully and accurately and would take 35-40 sessions if done in its entirety. Many say they specialize in it and do a half as$ job teaching it. Cbt is the basics for everyone. Its a very interactive thing and not for anyone who is passive or in a state of crisis.Then add on what needs to be included. I did that a long time ago used biofeedback with a cbt like approach. Works for a few years. I have no idea what happened with it. But what you said is true there are many different kinds of therapies to seek out. Everyone needs the basics to build upon. Cbt all by itself works on half the people. Meds work on half the people. So agreed there needs to be add in therapies as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.