Constantly sick after majority of meals after Gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey, 

I'm 22 and last January I had my gallbladder removed because it was full of stones. The docs said it was pretty rare for someone as young as I was, but because of my family history and the presence of stones they decided it was best to be removed.

I'd been fine for a few months after the surgery, but towards the end of last year and majority of this year, I found that after a few meals I would become very very unwell and would have to rush off annoyingly to the bathroom and basiclly empty my tummy. If it wasn't becomng so common and the cramps and pain wasn't so bad I wouldn't worry about it, but this tends to happen a few times a week. 

I've never been lactose intolerant before and I never used to get cramps and an upset tummy like this before, so I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues after the gallbladder removal? and if there is anything I could do/take to make it at least, a little bit better.

Thanks smile x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there are sorry you are suffering. Were you ok for a few months after the operation And then the sick tummy and running to the loo started. Was it January this year you had the operation? Are your stools yellow and watery? There are a number of things that might help you. Caltrate calcium 600 d is calcium carbonate with vitamin d. The calcium soaks up the bile and solidifies the stool. You start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food. If after a week there's no improvement you can take 1 full tablet 3 times a day with food. Are you taking digestive enzymes? A lot of people find them helpful after gallbladder removal as they help breakdown food. Also probiotics can also help too. I had mine removed in December and haven't been well since. I take probiotics and the caltrate and also psyllium husk for the diarrhea. Some doctors prescribe bile binders and a lot of people are on these after gallbladder removal. They didn't help me. I'm sorry your suffering and are so young. It's criminal to remove this organ in someone so young with your whole life ahead of you. I presume you had none of these problems before the operation? I hope you find relief soon. Take care x
    • Posted

Hey Ace,

It was January last year that I had the operation, and yes, sometimes they are. At the moment I'm not taking anything for it because I wans't sure what I should be taking, but reading your reply has helped me a whole bunch thank you so much! I'm sorry to hear you've been so unwell also, and yeah I was basically fine before the operation, besides my gallbaldder attacks of course, but other than that, I had no ongoing digestion problems before. 

Thank you so much for your reply and your help xxx

• Posted

No problem Gabriellalouise. You are not alone. So many have problems afterwards but we are not told of this before the operation. Unfortunately a lot of people in their teens and early 20's are having this op now. There are a number of causes. birth control pill increases your chances of getting gallbladder problems as it increases you estrogen levels which is one of the main causes of gallbladder problems. You can also be genetically predisposed. Is there a history of gallbladder issues in your family. You could start by trying the caltrate 600 d. You can get them in most pharmacies/ drug stores. They might help settle things. Also watch and see if there's any food that triggers it. Is it when you eat fatty food? Some people keep a food diary. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. X
  • Posted

Gabriellalouise, so sorry you're going through this and, as Acejohnston says,  unfortunate in someone so young.  I can't offer any insight into your gallbladder issue but if you are vomiting regularly you are at risk of dissolving your tooth enamel; you do NOT want a mouth full of falsies at age 22!  Your GP is probably the best person.
    • Posted

Hey Tom, 

Thanks for your reply, and yeah its becoming more of an issue now so I've got some appointments set up that will hopefully give me the answers and help I need, and yes! I love my teeth and I really want them for as long as possible!! 

Thanks for your help smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.