Constantly Tired - Blood tests normal

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 1-2 months I have been feeling constantly tired.

I work as a Nurse full time however I only work day shifts, 8am-5pm Mon-Fri. Every morning I wake up tired. I find myself dozing off at my desk if I am doing paperwork and struggle to make it to lunch time. On my lunch break I sleep in my car and then I am tired again for the rest of my shift. I am 78kg and 165cm. My diet is relatively healthy during the week however I do tend to eat out on the weekends. I exercise on average 3-4 days a week and walk my dogs twice daily. I only drink alcohol on the weekends and do not take any sleepers at night. I drink on average 2 cups of coffee a day and always have. I recently visited my GP and we did a full set of bloods which came back unremarkable. My iron results came back as low-normal: 

Iron                                    19       19  umol/L    (10-33)

TIBC                                  73       66  umol/L    (45-70)

Saturation                          26       29  %         (16-50)

Ferritin                               40       39  ug/L      (20-290)

All other tests were normal however my Urea was slightly raised at 0.36. My thyroid was normal. 

My doctor suggested I may have sleep apnoea and to download an app to monitor my snoring. No snoring was heard. I go to be usually at 10pm-10:30pm and wake at 6am. I am on the contraceptive pill Brenda 35 ed and Lovan 20mg daily. I have been on these both for many many years. I went off both for approx 4-6 months and recently started back on them 3 months ago. 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I feel really bad for you. I dont know much but it might be something mental. Are you depressed or something like that? Maybe something is stressing you out. Im no doctor but that can be a cause.
  • Posted

Hello, are you taking any thing for the tiredness?
    • Posted

No I haven’t been taking anything. I have tried Modafinil however it just gives me bad headaches and doesn’t seem to help with the tiredness . 
  • Posted

Hi Lee, can you remember a start to all this? Any changes apart from the contraceptive pill prior to symptoms? Any illness, trauma, break up etc?

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

I went through a divorce 12 months ago, moved state 9 months ago and didn’t work full time for a good five months. I have been at my job now for 5 months and the tiredness started approx 2 months ago. I have also been getting extremely bad headaches every morning that last until midday. I’m not completely happy at my job to be honest so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I just want to feel normal again. 

• Posted

It sounds like you have had a lot happen in the last year and maybe your body is just catching up? Have you tried cutting back on your exercise routine to see if that helps at all?

The headaches could be stress related have you had any tests to look at those separately ? Do you drink plenty of drinks without caffeine? Dehydration can cause bad headaches too and caffeine is classed as a diuretic. I know you haven't changed your drinking pattern for coffee but, our bodies can and do change our tolerance to things.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi dear friend.

I'm just like you for 6 months now, my blood tests are normal too, it's too bad to feel tired, I was full of energy, but after a flu everything has changed.

Please If you find anything tell me too.

• Posted

Maybe stop drinking coffee for a week and see if that hanges anything?
    • Posted

My doctor recommended the same thing however I don’t think I would be able to stay awake 
    • Posted

All i know is that caffeine can cause tiredness. If you are left with no options try to do it atleast from friday till monday and see how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.