Constantly worrying

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've suffered from anxiety for 5 years and have learned how to deal and control it quite well, until lately a few people around me have died suddenly and it's brought my health anxiety back with a bang! I'm constantly feeling my body for lumps n bumps and freaking myself out as I'm sure I find something all most every time, I've been getting blurred vision out of one eye laty and now I'm para it could be a brain aneurism I'm always having horrible thoughts about me dying and leaving my 8 year old without a mum and it kills me thinking like this but I can't stop myself from doin it! How am I meant to stop these thoughts if anyone has any advice or tips please say thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't give you any sorry I think the as you about leaving my family behind make me so scared and emotional cry all the time sound silly I know but can't help it hope you find away out wish I could 
    • Posted

I no people just say stop thinking about it then but they don't understand you can it's the way my brain works I worry about everything
  • Posted

Hello Debbie (and Ross)

It's the pits isn't it.

Have spent the whope of Christmas and New Year where you are, still having some panic attacks and intrusive thoughts like you both.

I too, wish for rhem to stop and try and try every day to deal with them.

I hope I will be startng CBT soon but as I get older the relaity of ill health becomes more likely.

I am so sorry for anyone feeling this way.

Let me know how you both go.

Christina

• Posted

Christina I had bad panic attacks had the whole body tingling constant feeling in my belly heart racing was in hospital a few times on a ECG machine I honestly thought I was goin to die, was prob at docs once a week I went on a cbt course and it really did help me a lot I learnt how to control my attacks and since the cbt course I've been prity good at controlling them but now it's just the health thing thinking there's something wrong with me this week it's my eye n head I'm scared it's a bleed on the brain I think this has stemmed from 2 weeks ago when a lady collapsed at one of my aerobics classes and died there and then with a brain aneurism she had said a few month before she had trouble with her vision now I think omg what if that's what I've got n die a few month later also my mum suffered with a brain aneurism when I was 12 she's thankfully survived it!
    • Posted

Dear Debbie.

Wow that is just not the best thing to happen in front of people like us is it.

Since being unwell over the past few months and since the intrusive htoughts have dominated my life, I am very aware of how much death and illness is aroud us all day. The news, TV, papers, TV Programmes, conversations it is endless. I am sure that my senses have been flooded over 50 times or more a day to constantly remind me how fragile we all are as human beings.

How sad for the ladies family it really is scary and unbelievable that it happens so fast and sometimes without any warning.

I wish I could help you, me and others to accept that nothing is permanent, death is inevitable and health can be uncertain.

I know this yet I cannot dealt with it.

Keep your chin up and as people say to me do not let anxiety destroy your life and dominate your day.

Easier said than done eh?

Take Care.

• Posted

I no it's so hard to deal with the more you think the crazier your thoughts become, I've just turned 30 and one of my friends got cancer at that age and I also work with the public everyday and the amount of story's people tell you about there aches and pains that turn out to b cancer you just can't get away from it please keep me informed about how things go with you, I've been googling how to deal with health anxiety but nothing much coming up think maybe another trip to the doctors I think
    • Posted

Hi Debbie.

Nice to hear back from you.

I think a trip for you to the GP may be the best way forward.

I trained as general nurse at the age of 18 years old, big mistake the worst job for someone like me. I left and trained in Psychiatry which I loved.

I have worked with dysfunctional people for many years but I have never coped well with health problems, particularly mine and / or my children.

I have not read CBT for Dummies but have heard that it has helped others.

Let me know what you think.

I so want to live in the moment which is why it is nice to be around children as that is how they live. They do not generally sit and worry about the future, however, this is how I grew up and had ongoing worries about my personal safety and stability throughout my childhood, hence my personality problems now.

Lots of good wishes to you. Christine xx

• Posted

Yip Christine I think the docs see if they have any other courses I can do, I don't suffer from panic attacks anymore which is a good thing it's just mental thoughts suppose I suffer from hypochondria and need help x
    • Posted

Dear Debbie.

I have panic attacks if something is wrong with my health but intrusive thoughts are often present.

It is good that we can admit to how we suffer and that we want to do something about it.

Get bakc and let me know how you go. xx

• Posted

Hi just thought I'd give a little update I don't feel like I'm getting any better probably worse each day so I've got an appointment on Monday with my doctor I've constantly got a racing heart from the min I wake up till I go to bed very emotional and I'm not one for crying! So here's hoping ill get some professional help x
  • Posted

Luve in the exact miment you are in. We are very negative thinkers and tend to go to horrid scenarios all the time. That why the panic atta ks even occur to begin with. We over stimulate on senses and nerves. So outloud when you are panicking say to yourself i can get through this. Immediately your mind will play tricks, immediately negative thiught will arise cause your coping mechanism are from habit and they are terrible. Cbt is very useful to start figuring out how to properly think versus how you think when under stress. The body recks havoc on every system when it believes its in danger. There is a book managing anxiety through cbt for dummies and it will explain this a lot better. The books are just words but if you use thise words and try it its a fantastic start. Also, breathing and meditation are extremly helpful at all times. I have recntly came to realize kiving in the mind frame of a oanic attack is horrific and orse then whatever you are even imagining to begin with. Its ironic really.
  • Posted

debbie reading about your post reminds me of myself so much.  Its like we are the same person except i have a 6 year old.  lol  

I think we spend way to much time worrying about how we feel instead of enjoying life.  I wrote down a list today of everything that makes my anxiety what it is, a mean ol monster and when i read the list out loud it seemed kinda funny.  Not haha funny but it gave me a sense of relief.  I noticed everything i felt, someone else felt the exact same way.  Maybe try writting down your list and reading it out load to yourself.

The more we tend to pay attention to it the worst it will make us feel.  When it enters your head, say "STOP" and quickly do something to take your mind off it.  Even wearing a rubber band around your wrist and giving yourself  a little snap when it starts has worked for me.  I also try and let those terrifing thoughts in and say ok your not so scary, write it down and visualize it as it is, just anxiety.  smile  

HOPE YOU HAVE A BETTER DAY TOMORROW.

• Posted

Hi crissy do u mind if I ask what sort of things u write down? I've just downloaded a book so goin to start that tonight n hopefully try n over come this! I just wish I could stop thinking of all these horrible things, it doesn't help hearing other peoples story's makes you not feel as alone! But you always think there not as bad as me!
    • Posted

I write down all the things I think about including the really bad horrible ones. Trust me you are not alone in this. I downloaded the book CBT for dummies last night and I have to say that so far it makes complete sense to me. You should try an read this one as well.
    • Posted

Thanks! I downloaded how to over come health anxiety I had a quick look at the dummies one but I don't think I need help for dealing with panic attacks or anxiety it's just my thots but hopefully the book helps good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.