Constipated change of bowel habits

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there

so a few months ago i had blood work done and it showed that i was iron deficient. ive have been taking iron tablets for about a month and have noticed a change in bowel habits. i used to go every morning and now i go every second or third day. Is this a common side effect or should i go see my GP?

thanks 😃

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes iron pills will disrupt you digestion and bowel habits. you a should take stool softeners with them to help you. I don't understand why you are taking them for so long. I had a iron deficiency and was given pills for 10 days. I would try to stop those and tell doctor about your issues. Good Luck.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. my dr said i need to be on them for 3 months atleast to get my stores up. ive taken movicol today and yesterday and i also went for a walk and nothing. it is setting my health anxiety off as im worried theres something blocking me up there

• Posted

Iron tablets cam cause stomach upsets like you describe. I would see you doctor and ask if taking iron rich foods alone would be better.

• Posted

Some time ago, I was taking iron pill daily. What I do remember was I started taking a pill that was a deep red colour. This made me very constipated. He changed it to a pill that was a dark green colour, and it was just fine, Normal daily bowel movements

• Posted

yes i think im taking the same one! its called ferrograd c and it has 100mgs of elemental iron? im on my last card so maybe after this one i can go back to my drs and see if my levels have rised and i can stop taking them. Im really only on them because i get really heavy periods and the dr wanted me to go on contraception but im already a bigger girl and didnt want to get bigger from the hormones 

• Posted

Yes, I was taking for heavy periods. Once they stopped, I no longer needed to take the iron pills

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.