Constipated/Diarrhea: Exhausted and nervous

Posted , 6 users are following.

For several weeks, maybe a couple months, I've been swinging between the two extremes. No matter what I do it seems to go back to one extreme to the degree that I feel I have no other option but to take medicine or heavily up my intake of prunes/fiber which pushes me in the opposite direction. I've had prunes and upped my fiber the last 48 hours and am highly considering senna tea, but am really nervous it'll work too well. It's exhausting and I'm getting nervous and scared. It's never been this bad for this long.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey ryn, that is probably due to IBS. Alternating diarrhea and constipation...

banana with yogurt ( mix both really well)on empty stomach can help you bind the stool helps to ease diarrhea while soft fibers like ishabgul can help to ease constipation, U can have those together to keep balance, one on empty stomach in the morning and one before going to bed...You can experiment with that.

• Posted

HI Ryn,the signs that you mentioned is caused by ibs,

• Posted

Stick to prunes only so that you don't overload your bowel with laxatives. Do you have IBS?

• Posted

Yes I do. i was diagnosed 2 years ago and things seem to get worse in the winter, or maybe its due to school. it's never been this bad in terms of shifts tho.

• Posted

I did have half the senna tea before seeing this. it helped a bit but I'll stick to prunes and fiber unless it becomes really bad.

• Posted

The flare ups are probably more likely to do with school stress. IBS goes into remission during calm periods in your life but can come back when anxious or stressed. Do not worry about your symptoms! This is normal with IBS. Stay as calm as possible, go easy on the laxatives and try distraction techniques such as light exercise and your hobbies. Antispasmodics and painkillers can help with the pain.

• Posted

Hi, the problem with prunes they contain sorbitol which can cause IBS issues, and not recommended on the Fodmap diet.

• Posted

The Fodmap diet is only a general guide; some foods that are not recommended on this eating plan do not cause problems for some people and some recommended foods do trigger symptoms for others. The diet suggests that sorbitol can cause problems; it doesn't say that it definitely causes reactions for everyone. To find out what foods suit your IBS, you are better off trying the food to see what happens.

There is no one size fits all solution here; Sorbitol has no effect on me so I find prunes work well.

• Posted

Hi, yes that is the case, like you say somethings are okay, and the amount of certain foods makes a difference.

• Posted

Hi, check out the fodmap diet, info online, the best thing I can recommend are Chia Seeds, Chia seeds have special properties to do with fibre, they need to be soak in water for say about an hour, a glass of water a tablespoon of chia seeds, soak, stir regularly, the seeds become glutinous, the seeds soak up about 10 times their weight in water, they are easy to drink down, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds contains about 5 grams of fibre mainly soluble fibre, do not take chia seeds dry, you can up the amount of chia seeds to 3 tablespoons per day over time, chia seeds have no taste so you could add some orange juice etc to the drink for taste, you can check out chia seeds online lots of info, drink plenty of fluids, chia seeds may help the your issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.