Constipation!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had a thr on 5th jan and been given oxycodeine for pain relief which in turn is giving me the worst constipation.the hospital have given me lactulouse and docusate sodium for it but its not helping and its driving me bonkers!

Any help hints or tips please??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

also nuts & seeds help a lot too...you've likely been given enough oxy for a few more days - get off it - as soon as you can - it's deadly addictive and the constipation will be the least of your problems very soon!

• Posted

I took Dulcoease,which is a softener rather than a purgative and I found it very effective...and loads of water ..hope you get some relief soon 

• Posted

Lots of water; dates, prunes, bran etc. Also linseeds ground up on cereal is nice. Good luck!
  • Posted

You mentioned that you only just had the surgery on January 5th.  That's less than 2 weeks post op.  From my personal experience, trying to come off the narcotics so soon after THR is completely unrealistic... unless you don't mind chronic pain for several weeks.  Narcotics have been proven safe for the short term (up to 3 months).  During this time your doctor should be weening you off the levels of potency anyway.  Every 2-3 weeks my doctor brought me down to a lower level of pain medicine.  By the time you reach your 11th or 12th week, you will be on Ibuprofin or Tylenol.  I didn't feel any side effects at all.  Don't let people scare you!

Yes, narcotics cause severe constipation.  My doctor told me that narcotics react by preventing the digestive system to absorb moisture.  Therefore, a regular healthy diet change such as eating more fruit and drinking more water will not work.  Again, Miralax was a life saver for me.  You may also want to discuss with your doctor.  He/she should be able to suggest something that has been shown to be very effective with counteracting the symptoms.  If you are advised to take stool softeners, you need another doctor!! 

Best of luck!

• Posted

Warm prune juice helps. Hope you feel better soon! 🤗 Hugs, LD

• Posted

Laxido has done the trick!thank heavens for it!
    • Posted

Laxido is great, was sent home from hospital with it. Glad you're in the move again!

• Posted

had my hip replacement on dec 20th 2016. I had the same problem. Try a stool softener in conjuction with a bulk fiber and plenty of water. give it a day or so.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Don't know if you continue to have this issue.I take Magnesium before I go to bed,.It helps to decrease muscle spasms and keeps you from getting constipated.Good stuff

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. I will give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.