Constipation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am curious if anyone has solved their constipation issue when taking any of the meds to treat acid reflux. The only med I take is calcium carbonate and it works wonders for me. However, it is very constipating.  I am looking for something non harming and that can be used for the long term. I consume psyillium husk, vegetables and I drink plenty these are just not powerful enough to solve the issue.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do you get calcium carbonate from your GP and does it have another name.i have suffered from acid reflux for many years and have always had constipation ad well I take a tablet called Resolor or is also known as prucalopride this medication is only for women apparently but it works.
    • Posted

Hi Maureen, calcium carbonate is not a prescription where I am. Thanks for the advice on Resolor. May I ask have you used anything non prescription that worked well? Looking for something non prescription and natural if possible.
    • Posted

Yes I have tried lactulose syrup,fibogel and senokot but none of these worked.I had a colonoscopy earlier this year and it showed the last part of my bowel is very slow and doesn't contract properly so that is why I was given this medication.I also take domperidone tablets because I have the same problem with my gullet,I think this problem is called dysmobility,and these tablets help food digestive faster.
    • Posted

Hi again,

thought that I should mention a few things about Ca....and I suspect you know already plus a lot more...

You probably need no more tha 1200mg daily

CaCabonate is the most constipating

This also competes with Magnesium

Absorption is via Vit D

Where it goes is via K2

While I am not an advocate of Ca Supplementation..I'm sure

its needed....sometimes....when its taken in small amounts

thruout the day..like 300 mx X4...less likely to cause constipation but..

if it does..try citrate...may need to add a tad of acid with it...but for those

who are lactose intollerant...and don't want to go thru the struggles of getting the lactase enzyme into their digestive system, thus no calcium via dairy......tweaking various kinds of Ca, by spacing may help.

Those who do supplement...be it constipation or diarrhea...these are "side effects".....off topic some...I'm anticipating a routine colonoscopy...will tell my GP I want the Virtual Colonoscopy...the only disadvantage..is that should it reveal something that should be or could be resolved via the barbed flexi tube..I'd need to redo it the conventional way...but this is "routine"...will call Monday to determine $ and schedule...with our without GP's OK..she's new..as my old GP of 30 years retired...sniffle...Claudio

• Posted

Hi,,you would be wise to see your doctor for advice, we can all respond in different ways to medication. Never like to mix tabs unless having seen the doctor. Constipation is awful. Hope things work out for you soon.
  • Posted

I agree with both maureen and janet...I've just resolved constipation for a 36 year old Chinese wife, mother of 2....I would not allow her to take calcium carbonate...remedy used: psyllium husk 1/4 teaspoon with 4oz water x 3. followed by another 4oz of water.....adding probiotics...3rd glass of water added NAC because she lacked energy..not for constipation....24oz is ok for 100 lbs...but much more with added weight.

This should not be a long term process...will ween gradually over a period of 3 to 6 weeks....If I suspect "gastroparisis" will obtain "Rikkunshito from Honso..8 herbal cocktail....I'd suggest anyone to do their homework on this Japanese Kanso herbal. it is not for everyone....the copycat Chinese has 6 herbals...I haven't any studies nor can find any...probably in Chinese..so will need to outsource for data sometime in the near future....Claudio

• Posted

found it...had to twist arms...promise stuff...but the ingredients are the same..but not the exact measurements for each ingredient. (suspected)

My Chinese respondents obtain the Japanese product thru hong kong ...30 years ago, would have been the opposite...Claudio

• Posted

The post earlier in "moderation" applies to THE WORLD JOURNAL OF GASTEROLOGY...you can google the below headline and find the study summary.

Rikkunshito improves globus sensation in patients with proton-pump inhibitor-refractory laryngopharyngeal reflux

• Posted

I TRUST THIS IS NOT GAVISCON OR THE LIKESTHAT YOU ARE TAKING?

I YOU ARE ON ANY TABLETSLONRM FROM G.P AND THEY STOP WORKING I.E YOU HAVE  CONSTANT ACIDITY SEE YOUR DOCTOR AS ITS ABNORMAL I KNOW I TRIED  TO PUT IT TO THE BACK OF MY MIND HOWEVER   SINCE MAY AND UP TO PRESENT DATE IVE HAD VARIOUS INVESTIGATIONS ENDOSCOPY FOUND STOMACH POLYPS BENIGN INFLAMMATION FOLLOWED BY BARIUM SWALLOW THEN A FINE NEEDLE BIOPSY BY ULTRASOUND AND C.T SCAN NEXT WEEK  ALL STARTED WITH HYPERACIDITY SO FAR SOMETHING IS PRESSING ON OESOPHAGUS [FOOD PIPE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. LOOKSTYROID PROBLEM AND I WAS TAKING EXTRA GAVISCON AND REALISED IT WAS WRONG.

SEEK PROPER MEDICAL ADVICE AND STOP OVER THE COUNTER  MEDICATIONS.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Taking fibre will increas constipation. All you have to do is change your diet slightly, add some prunes or other laxatives.
  • Posted

Flax seed meal, also known as ground linseed is the best thing I've ever discovered for consitpation. It is a natural product with heaps of health benefits, including lowering cholsterol and BP. I use 2 level tablespoons on my breakfast cereal. I also went gluten free as I discovered that was also contributing to my constipation. It also causes acid reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.