Constipation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I need your help.

I tried sonany products and I am still

Constipated.

I alway way to strain.

Bm are always a problem for me.

Can anyone gives me ideas what else to try?

😳

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry margie but what are sonany products? I've never heard of them

• Posted

Just realised did you mean so many? 😂 What are you taking now?

• Posted

Hi Margie, I take Magnesium Carbonate, it is a white powder, I take two coffee spoons mixed with half glass of water just before going to bed at night. After the half glass of water you should drink other glass with only water. It works very well for me. I take it every other day but you can take it daily. Sometimes I also take one pill of aloe vera after the M Carbonate if I'm constipated.

I took Lactulosa the first days after my op and I had to switch to CM because it was not working.

Hugs!!!

• Posted

I take MIralax, aka polyethylene glycol 3550.  I think it is called Movicol in the U.K..  I use glycerin suppositories if I need help with the urge to go (without straining).  I used the suppositories a lot right after my surgery.   My op was a while ago but I still need to take meds for constipation bc I am on some meds that cause constipation and I still don't want to strain and risk damaging the repair.

good luck, I hope you get things under control.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

I took stool softener

magnesium, and miralax.

They work for 2 days and then I am

Constipated again.

I am worried because I will have a problem after the surgery.

Maude I should go to a

Gastrointestinal doctor before surgery.

Hugs 🙏🏻

Margie

• Posted

Hi Margie can you go on the internet and see if they sell Alpine Tea near where ever you live. It a Herbal tea which was recommended by our hospital here in New Zealand. I was able to purchase it from our local supermarket and it worked wonders for me before my operation, Hope you get some help soon regards Kath
    • Posted

You would only be able to see another consultant if your urogynaecologist thought it necessary if you are in the U.K. And there's no reason why a repair won't solve your constipation, it does for most women because the prolapse is the cause of the constipation. If you are only taking magnesium and miralax then it's not enough to treat chronic constipation and there are far better other laxatives you can buy or get on prescription. I'm not surprised they didn't work in the long term.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Is there anything that works for chronic constipation.

I go everyday but it is not a normal bowel movement .

I have tried everything they work for a day or two and then I am constipated again.

Right now I cannot drink enough liquid because of urine retention.

Plus I go about 15 times a day and 3 times a night.

Walking makes me go more in small amounts .

Any help you can offer would be appreciated

Plus I take heart thyroid and blood sugar medication all binding agents .

Thanks, 😢

Margie

• Posted

margie what you need is something to clear the bowel so you can start from "scratch" so to speak. Suppositories are something you can buy over the counter from a pharmacy. Insert 2 glycerin suppositories (you may need to use some KY jelly as well if they are difficult to use) and try and keep them in your bowel for as long as possible (usually 20 minutes is long enough). Hopefully they will clear your bowel. That night take 2 dulcolax tablets. If the suppositories don't work do the same thing again the next day and again the dulcolax. Keep taking the stool softeners as well. Prune juice has been mentioned which is supposed to be very good so keep drinking that. What happens with chronic constipation is that the bowel becomes "lazy" and the muscles just stop working. Suppositories will help. Give that a try and let me know how you get on x

• Posted

I have to take them everyday to keep things the right consistency.  I can't just take them once and have it all fixed.  I have  miralax to be very effective.

that said, pre-op I was having trouble with incomplete evacuation because of the rectocele.  I just couldn't empty all the way, even with splinting.  I could do everything right and take lots of meds and the first part of a bowel movement would still be pebbles as it was sat there drying out since my last bowel movement because I couldn't fully evacuate.  The stool behind it would be ideal.  It was frustrating, but it was the best I could do.    It was still helpful to have the rest of the bowel movement be right so it was worth the meds and the fuss.

• Posted

Cookie, Is senna the active ingredient in alpine tea?  If it is, then it isn't really the best solution for chronic constipation as I believe that is a stimulant laxative and it isn't good to take those regularly. 

Margie - there is a wide range of things you can try and using the mildest thing that works is probably the best way to go.  Clearly eating lots of healthy high fiber foods and drinking lots  of water is the best thing to do.... if it works... but sometimes it doesn't.  If you want to read about a wide range of treatments, leaning gentle and natural, I suggest searching for articles on treating constipation in autistic children.  I have found a lot of information there.  People are concerned about giving strong meds to kids so you see a lot of information on gentler ways to address it but some kids have very bad chronic constipation so they have information about the stronger meds, too.

also, asking your GP might be good smile. Good luck to you.  Not a fun problem to have but life is much nicer once you figure out how to manage it and get things moving correctly.

• Posted

Hi Dorry thanks for the message. Ive looked on the box and have seen that yes it does have Senna Leaf in fact it says that each tea bag has approx 780mg of Senna leaf. ( is that bad?) Also it says that there is Buchu, Cleavers, Couchgrass, Fennel Seed, Ginger Root, Marshmallow leaf, Yarrow Flowers,. I was having to splint before my op I tried this a couple of days before I had my repairs and was relieved and really pleased with the result so thought it may be of help to someone else. Im not usually a health store product purchaser. smile Thanks for commenting, kind regards Kath

• Posted

I take Laxido every day, it's a powder you mix with water and works for me. It makes you stools softer so easier to pass. Have you had prolapse surgery?

• Posted

Hi Margie,

They are for me as well. I've tried counting fiber and that's helped some. I can eat a bag of prunes and nothing happens. I really don't get the urge unless I take something. Which I don't like doing, but beats the alternative. I've been taking Linzess just before surgergy and now after. It does work for me now. Gastrologist is who prescribed it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.