Constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I normally have bowel movements at least 3 times a week, maybe every other day, but sometimes even when I eat a lot I can't go for a couple days. Also when I drink alcohol then next day I might have a bowel movement, but when I stop drinking I'm constipated again. Now when I don't intake alcohol I'm conspitated for the week etc.. it's really inconsistent bowel movement schedules. I have a history of pre-cancerous polyps being removed during colonscopy but other than that nothing much. Any ideas to the inconsistencies of the bowel movements? Any help would be appreciated.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried stool softeners gentle type or magnesium supplements every day.

Also it might help to include magnesium supplements every day and is it possible to eat more fiber and drink more water. Also mabe walking or some form of exercise that also helps the intestins to keep movin.

I started a discussion on colonoscopy I have one every 3 years and had many polyps removed some have come back pre cancerous. I don't drink I eat clean no sugars fresh veggies and stay away from boxed foods. So there could be a heriditary issue.

Alcohol can inhibit digestion, cause dehydration, and compromises the functioning of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Depending on how much alcohol consumed it could be one reason behind the chronic constipation issues you describe in your post.

i hope you can get to your Doctor for you individual needs and feel better soon.

i am not a doctor and don't know your medical history or what if any meds you take , constipation could be a side effects of some medications .

• Posted

I'll need to start taking some stool softeners to see if those help, my last experience was bad, had me sitting on the toilet most of the day.

That is interesting because they wanted me to have a colonscopy repeated every year due to pre cancerous polyps, my doctor questioned why so often, but that's what my gasternologist had told me so I just go with that. I'll be going back for one in April, so hopefully I get more questions answered.

As far as meds, I take Zocor for chloestorol and Lisinopril for high BP, other than that just over the counter vitamins like Centrum or Vitamin D, fish oil etc.

• Posted

There's a fiber stool softener in granular form added to drinks every am is much gentler. No taste. You will not be in the restroom all day. 

I just had revision hip surgery and the pain meds are notorious for causing constipation. I never had that problem with the fiber drink in am. and pill in pm. Also now substitute fiber and magnesium pills. Diet is important and can help if you can eat more fiber .

Yikes, a colonoscopy every year glad to hear you are going even though the prep is miserable. Stay healthy and in good shape as best we can and health prevention testing is a good thing! 

Hoping your better soon ....and the colonoscopy test comes in clean. Mine is due again in Nov. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.