Constipation advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

been constipated this week tried to go today cant push feels like its stuck worried it might be a fecal impaction any advice?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

have you got anything to soften your poo with like a laxative? if not try something like prunes to soften your poo with, being bunged up is painful! see if you can use something, fruit might help but not hard fruit!

• Posted

Use glycerin suppositories. They give you relief within 10mins

• Posted

see either boots or Sainsbury's or a chemist tomorrow. if you take fybogel you can take up to 8 in a day! it might initially make your bowels loose, but it's trying to shift whatever is in your bowel, don't leave it, i did and ended up in hospital!

• Posted

yeah ive taken four laxido today and suppository hopefully that will help not sure how long they take do have some fybogl but sometimes they work straight away and other times they dont can you take fybogel with laxido?

• Edited

Try Mov i col (macrogol). But you'll need to be patient as it can take a couple of days to work. It's my go-to for constipation these days.

Glycerine suppositories never work for me, and most laxatives and stool softeners - including lactulose - just cause terrible cramps but don't produce results. I also find that fibre laxatives just add to the discomfort, also without producing results. Ditto for upping my already high daily intake of natural dietary fibre.

However, we're all different. You'll need to experiment to find what works best for you.

• Posted

thanks so you dont its anything like fecal impaction? normally suppositorys work also took laxatives

• Posted

I don't know. However, impaction implies that there's a large, hard stool in your rectum, and in this case suppositories usually work.

In my own case, the hold-up always occurs in my colon, which is why suppositories and enemas don't work for me. I recently had a CT scan, which showed that my colon was loaded with stool and seriously distended, and I believe this to have been the case for most of my life. This is why macrogol works best for me.

However, we're all different. Have you had a CT scan or even a straight X-ray to establish whether or not your colon is overloaded?

It's impossible to predict what will work for any particular individual. We all have to find our own way through these problems.

• Posted

had one a few months ago and said it was full of poo then does macrogol have any side effects and is in tablet form

• Posted

I'm afraid everything has side-effects of one kind or another! However, in my case macrogol has the least side-effects.

It doesn't come in tablet form. In my part of the world it comes in sachets of powder which have to be made up with water and drunk (and it tastes pretty foul!) However, I gather that in some countries it comes ready-mixed. Never in tablet form though, as the dose is too big.

You'd need to ask your pharmacist about the dose, bearing in mind your loaded colon. Mine advised that in my circumstances I could take up to 8 sachets per day for a couple of days. However, the entire daily dose has to be taken within a period of six hours. In any case, it's best to start with one or two sachets, then wait a couple of days to see whether you have results.

And NO to another of your questions. It's never advisable to combine laxatives unless told to by your doctor.

The main side-effect I got from macrogol was very loud gurgling from my guts. But then I'm not used to hearing anything from that department as I've had a sluggish colon all my life so it was probably just normal! Unlike most laxatives, it caused absolutely no cramping. However, when the 8-sachet dose finally kicked in, two full days after taking it, the effects were pretty spectacular and came on without much warning.

The one IMPORTANT thing to remember if you're going to take macrogol, fybogel or any other laxative that acts by drawing water into your stools is that you have to DRINK PLENTY or they won't work. In fact, if you don't drink enough when taking a fibre laxative like Fybogel it can make matters worse. This means an absolute minimum of two litres (four pints) per day. And this can't be alcoholic or any drinks that contain a lot of sugar, as both act as a diuretic, further depleting your body of fluid.

I'm afraid we're all on our own when coping with our bowel problems. You can pick up a few tips on a site like this, but nothing beats careful experimentation and finding out what works for you.

• Posted

I found Movicol was slow to work and you have to watch how long you take it because it can make your stools too loose. However, I did get some relief.For me, the best laxatives are natural ones such as fruit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.