Constipation after H-Pylori treatment

Posted , 13 users are following.

Was diagnosed with H-Pylori two months ago. Took q0 day triple antibiotic treatment. Now have constipation. I have a healthy diet and am active. Nothing seems to help though. Anybody else have this problem ? Or is something else wrong.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

If you are on ppi (which I assume you are?) then this is a common side effect of the medication.

Have you had a stool test to confirm h pylori has been eradicated ? You should be off ppi for 14 days for this test.

I found ppi made me feel worse and I got bad bloating and constipation. I switched to Zantac 300mg per day and I felt much more normal.

• Posted

Not on a ppi. The doctor took me off every thing when I finish the antibiotics. Haven't been retested yet. My doc went on vacation . Been thinking about scheduling another endoscopy with the gastroenterologist. Not really neauseated anymore. Just pain in the upper center of my abdomen. Stomach makes a lot of noise , so I know it's working. But constipation does worry me.

• Edited

Hello again smile

Some docs keep people on ppi for months after treatment until they heal. But I found using Zantac was better than ppi as they aren't as strong.

Yes you need to get retested first thing, and 8 weeks or longer is ideal time. A stool sample

Is highly accurate and less invasive than endoscopy. You're off ppi so there's no

Issue there.

Once you've had it comformed that it's eradicated (fingers crossed) then it is just time and good diet that will heal you. It isn't a quick fix I'm afraid.

I would advise taking a good probiotic to balance your system after antibiotics. And a multi vitamin while you heal.

I have compiled a report with advice around diet and supplements that I can send to you if you want ? Private message me if you want to have a look at it. I've sent it to other sufferers who have found it useful

• Posted

I tried to private message you. First time I've done that. Hope I did it right. Would love your findings.

• Posted

can you also send me the report? I've have been treated 6 times and to be honest,I've had it with drugs! Tried many natural drugs also,got some relief but no eradication. just finished another round of antibiotics two days ago.

• Posted

hello. I know this topic is quite old now, but i've got a friend who's suffering from it and the antibiotic aint helping. He's been constipated for 7 days now in a roll. The H pyori caused the constipation before and even in treatment ,he still is constipated. He also throws up all food he eats, mainly carbs. I tried to help him with my Keto diet which kind of works with the throwing up problem but not with the constipation. May i please get any advice at all for alternative ways/medicine / diets, suppliments, anything really which can help? Like specific probiotics fighting it ,maybe?

• Posted

Hi there,

It would be really helpful to know the outcome of this, I recently finished my h plyori treatment which they confirmed got rid of it but i have been super constipated for nearly three weeks now, even having blood on my stool but they are refusing me a colonoscopy. I am getting really worried but also have pain in my middle and upper abdomen (like a quick stinging pain that suddenly comes and goes). I was also extremely gassy but recently changed my diet which seems to have helped that a bit. Did you manage to find out what was wrong? I would really appreciate some advice.

thanks

danny

• Posted

i am experiencing the same after h.plyori treatment. it been 6 months im still experiencing severe constipation. i don't know what to do anymore. i have tried eating probotic, greens everyday, fiber but still doesnt help much. If anyone have any ways to relief please let me know please.

• Posted

yes, only helped temporary. This treatment definitely killed my digestive system.

• Posted

yep i almost wish i didnt do the treatment! Do you have any other symptoms? I keep getting stinging like pains just to the left of my bellybutton and inbetween my bellybutton and chest

• Posted

no stinging for me. please let me know if you find something that helps with our condition.

• Posted

Hey, i've had similar symptoms and was wondering what yours turned out to be?

• Posted

Initially i was thinking the worst but I think the antibiotics just really messed my stomach up for a while, its way better now and certain foods (dairy and beer) are really the only things the give me any issues

• Posted

Last week I finished Helicobacter pylori infection treatment and now I have severe constipation . My bowl worked perfectly before the treatment but now I have to spend lots of time in the toilet . I wish my doctor had told me about this post-treatment problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.