Constipation after inguinal hernia repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I will have open inguinal hernia repair with local anaesthetic in 10 days time. I'm fine about the op itself but concerned about being constipated afterwards, especially if I have to take opioid painkillers. Those of you who have had the op - what's your experience? How long was it before you passed a motion? And was it difficult? Sorry for asking personal questions! Appreciate any experiences so I know what to expect.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ulfgar, after my hernia surgery I was given Tramadol, I only took a few of them the first and second day after and did get constipated and took stool softeners during that time and it didn’t help, so I stopped the tramadol, the pain wasn’t that bad more of a discomfort than anything and on the third day was not constipated anymore, if you can put up with the pain ( in my case wasn’t to bad) maybe try it without the opioids my only problem was bending and twisting and getting out of bed was uncomfortable for the first 4 or 5 days and now 4 weeks later everything is pretty good, still some discomfort but not bad  .
    • Posted

That's really helpful, thanks. Yes, I was thinking to only use the opiods if nec - interesting that stopping tramadol seemed to help in your case. Glad yo hear your recovery going well!

• Posted

I had to use a suppository for 5 days along with a stool softner for 3 weeks.  All was back to regular after the three weeks.
    • Posted

3 weeks? That sounds like a long haul. But I'm glad things back to regular after that. Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

I managed to go about 2/3 days after the operation with no issues. I used movicol which is a stool softener, and worked for me.
    • Posted

Thanks, that's useful. I'll get some Movicol in.

• Posted

I'm there right now: no bowel movement after 4 days. Feeling very bloated still and uncomfortable with it. Am taking Lactulose stool softener, but no joy (!!) so far. Will try stopping the codeine today and see what happens.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear that Clive. Any better now? I do hope so. I have heard from other people that codeine could be the culprit - but obviously if you need it for the pain, you need it.

• Posted

You are sooo wise to be thinking about this now.  Make sure you have milk of magnesia, Miralax, and some fleet enemas on hand at home before the op.  You have to stay on top of this or you can end up in the ER like I did.  If you use MOM or Miralax daily for the first week, you should be fine.  Your surgeon will likely prescribe a stool softerner.  Good luck with your surgery!  Blessings
    • Posted

I'm definitely going to ask about this at the pre-op. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope all's well now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.