Constipation after op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning my lovely ladies it's me again, I need some help. I'm struggling with my bowels, the problem is I don't feel constipated yet I haven't had a bowel motion as such since Wednesday, day of my op. I had very very small motion when I came out of hospital on Friday but to be honest it was nothing really and very loose. Has anyone else had problems with getting there bowels working again, I'm getting worried as I still don't feel I need to go yet.

Love Ann xx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Ann, 8 weeks since op for me with some worries about "horrible pouch". I looked today and finally noticed some decrease in swelling. My cyst was 2kg so was hoping for a decrease in abdomen size eventually, now my jeans are definitely looser. Not perfect, but then it never was. I feel better about it now. be patient...x
    • Posted

Hiya, thanks Hun it's so disheartening when you see your stomach it's such an odd shape, I know it's really early days yet I'm not silly, let's just hope it will improve as swelling goes down. Xx
  • Posted

i haven't had my surgery yet, but i was hoping to lose my belly, not get stuck with it...also all this constipation talk...geez..what am i in for?
  • Posted

Very swollen tummy is all part of the process for a few months afterward I think. Takes some time before it all settles down, its all the pushing and pulling around they have to do to get at things inside, and it upsets your bowel no end, they more they handle it the worse the problems, they do know about your bowel not working after surgery, seems like it goes into shock for some people, poor son-in-law had that exact problem after appendix surgery not long ago, a few extra days in hospital, and he came right.

Constipation, the pain killers they give you are to blame, anything with a morphine base, codedine type tablet stick you up no end.

Horrible i know.

When the nurses say drink lots they do mean it, it helps to get things moving.

If family are visiting, get them to bring in some pure pear juice, very gentle on bowel and works wonders, and not too nasty to drink, but looks weird.

The hospital I go to dish out pear juice, like lolly water, and encourage you to drink as much as possible, bonus, its not too explosive, if you know what I mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.