Constipation after ovarian cystectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I am 23 years old and 3 days ago I had a large (9cm) ovarian cyst drained and also some endometriosis burned away in a laproscopy surgery. I have heavy bleeding but the main problem is constipation !!! I have taken lactulose daily and no help. I tried a suppository but this just gave me terrible stomach cramps and made me bleed even more. It's gotten to the point where I can barely sit :-( I've heard about senakot although it's not a natural laxative. any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

apples are a good cure to constipation if you like them lots of water drink it down guzzle it try to eat a lot of fibre its horrible to be in this state I feel for you.  You could always go to the pharmacist and ask them for an alternative over the counter med to relieve yourself they usually know more than doctors anyway as I have found out in the past.  Good luck I hope it gets better soon
  • Posted

Oh and have you ever tried buscopan its quite good for cramps and also I was recommended to take Colpermin its for IBS but apparently its good for spasms i.e. cramps bloating trapped wind and constipation
  • Posted

Try dulcalax at night, drink loads, try fresh orange with bits in. Mr t sells it.

Wholemeal bread, no stodge. Curry, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, beans, anything high in fibre

prune juice. Sounds a bit odd but anything that gives you wind will force things through your system.

Try fybogel, but the most important thing is, don't strain.

• Posted

Natural or not does not say anything, if it causes cramping or if it can be taken for weeks (irritating lining or not).

I would definitely go with non-cramping OSMOTIC laxatives like e.g. Movicol, Osmolax and whatever they are called. You can dose as needed (until the right softness is achieved) and it causes only liquid to be/stay due to osmotic mix in your guts, not movement enhencing (cramps) or pulling out liquid from system (lactose).

Be aware that at the start you might have soft or liquid stool with hard pebbles until only soft stool comes.

You can take those osmotic ones (in contrary to lactose even since it is irritating, drawing fluid) even for months and years, you can dose it as needed.

• Posted

Ruby,

I've suffered since childhood off and on.  Just had a horrible bout last week.  Finally got myself almost right again.  My go to has always been raisin bran muffins.  The bakery just stopped making them and after a week, oh the pain!!!  Never had pain from it like that.

I used Senna, is gentle and non-cramping {my surgeon recommended post op for me and it worked like a champ, takes a few days though}.  Apples, and pumpkin pie.  Pumpkin pie for some reason works too so I used all 3.  Along with all veggies and no protein for a few days.   

Also, the only relief I got from the pain was walking, which also helps things along.  Sitting and laying (stomach sleeper) were very painful.  Even got up in the middle of the night and went to an all night store here and walked around for an hour.  Finally was able to sleep for a couple hours at 4:00am. 

So I now how you feel.  Hope all the advise works for you. 

Hold on girl.

xx

• Posted

I got terrible constipation after my surgery also due to the amount of heavy painkillers I was taking. I had a laparotomy. I ate SO much healthy fibre filled foods and drank so much water every day as well as taking stool softened three times a day with no success! I ended up using a fast acting suppository from the pharmacy and it fixed the problem. Good luck, it's such a horrible feeling!

• Posted

Sorry you have experienced this too - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!! I may try another suppository in the next few days if I don't get relief from Senna, although it didn't work the first time :-(

• Posted

I didn't have a bowel movement for a week after surgery, and now two weeks later, I'm getting a bit more regular. Stool softeners didn't really help, but I tried Miralax (the walmart version) and it worked like a charm. Didn't have any cramping, for me at least. Now I'm taking that every other day and stool softener once a day and it seems to be working.

• Posted

Yeah! Miralax is an osmotic laxative!

There is nothing more gentle than an osmotic laxative.

• Posted

Thankyou everyone, I've now taken a Senna tablet and hoping for the best! Forcing myself to eat prunes and high fibre also. Unfortunately since I have Crohn's disease (I'm currently in remission thank god) most doctors have no idea what to suggest and constipation has been always been a problem !!

• Posted

All the best!

please drink a lot, stay well hydrated,

have e.g. a 2L water jug there which must be gone by the evening (additionally to your teas and liquid containing foods, soups).

High fibers can be constipating!!!

if not enough liquid with it, and especially if one doesn't consider the difference of soluble and insoluble fiber. (have a look, it is very different)

I love insoluble fiber (spinach, greens, avocado...) as it seems to make it move more and not be water dependent, whereas soluble fiber seems to bulk more, slows the digestive system actually in activity, and is highly water dependent, BUT insoluble fiber can act like a wire brush against walls and soluble more soothing (potatoes, carrots, psyllium husk, oats...). So a good mix and not too much at once is important. Every fiber has both parts anyway, but the % varies.

Fiber is good, but it can go wrong if too much at once is taken and is a sudden change in diet, if soluble and not well hydrated....can go into more constipation.

Prunes have both parts, more soluble fiber than insoluble, but it seems the high sorbitol in them, that works laxatively.

I had cramps with them, so I stay away.

After operation/anasthesia the guts are slow, one also is less mobile, needs a bit gentle help and patience. 

Please try some osmotic laxatives from the pharmacy for a few days.

Please be really careful, patient and gentle with your intestine and stay well hydrated.

• Posted

Complete different question since you mention to have (had) Crohn's may I exploit your experience: when you ate bread with real crunchy grains in them, or walnuts or sunflower seeds, would you get more pain?

• Posted

In general bread was not good for me, it bloated me to the point where I looked heavily pregnant! So I just avoided it. For me, the triggering foods included grapes, bread, any form of alcohol and red meats.
  • Posted

Success !!! Sorry if it's too much information but I am so much happier even though quite sore. Not sure which technique was best in the end, maybe it was a combination of all three !! Will be sticking to more liquid based foods and hoping for the best for the future. Still bleeding quite heavily but I suppose that is to be expected. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.