Constipation and BPH

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 63, with chronic urinary retention (CUR) due to a streched bladder, currently doing self-cathing to protect my kidneys. I am also taking doxazosin ( alpha blocker) and just started Finasteride (to shrink my prostate hopefully). My PSA for the last 9 years has been about the same, around 3.

I have been noticing for years that my BPH symptoms are related to the occurrences of my constipation and I am easily constipated, especially due to the fact that I have redundant (tortuous - extra long - loopy - twisted) colon, which I was told after my colonoscopy 5 years ago. Every change in diet, every change in daily routine, will make me constipated and gassed bloated and I sufffer BPH symptoms, which is for me means more hesitancy, more urine retention. The harden stool and the gas trapped in the colon will push and/or pinch on the urethra just like an enlarged prostate would. Once I had a very bad constipation and I almost had a complete urine shutdown (AUR). I always find immediate urinary relief once my constipation and bloating subsided. Now I wonder if I have been suffering from constipation more than from enlarged prostate and therefore any prostate surgeries may not do me any good.

Anyone else with similar problem ? Especially with redundant colon ? Please share your story.

Hank

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just an update to this discussion.

I just had a colonoscopy. During the time that my stomache and colon were empty due to the 24-hour liquid fast followed up with a bowel flush, my urination flow and retention (from self cath) seemed to improve. The problems did not go away completely but it was only for 2 days. Maybe I should go on a long-term fast. Just kidding. We all need sardines sometimes. Right Jim ? smile

• Posted

The bowels can put some pressure on the prostate so it's not surprising that you were able to void better with a completely empty colon. So constipation bad, empty bowel good for LUTS, but yes, you do have to eat from time to time smile

Jim

• Posted

The scary part is after 2 days of fasting, I lost my sense of hunger, even for sardines. It was very tempting to continue fasting to see any more improvements in LUTS but I decided against it out of malnutrition fear. 

Hank

• Posted

Hank, 

I discovered the loss of hunger at a time that I was frequently taking clients out for lunch or dinner.  It was very difficult to control my weight until I started to fast.

I'd pick a day and just have lots of liquids, some broth, and fruits.   By the next day I had lost my appetite and could continue to fast for 2-3 more days, with the addition of some protein.  

By the end I had lost usually about 9lbs and felt great.  Then I slowly restarted eating.

• Posted

jjjj, 

Very good tip for weight loss. Maybe you can write a book. smile However, I am already on the underweight side so I can not do this very often since I've read that underweight people tend to drop dead more often than normal and a little overweight people.

Hank

• Posted

Update: Since I came across some news articles just released recently ( 10 years, 18 countries, and 135,000 people study, indicated that low fat diets cut lives short, and Fat, even saturated fat, makes people live longer ), I have increased my fat intake. As a result after a week, as I hoped for, my constipation has gone away and my bph symptoms have improved. At least now there is one less variable in my bph equation. 

Hank

• Posted

Hank, 

For every study that shows increased fat in the diet is healthy, I'll find you one (or more) that says the opposite. Such is the nature of nutritional research and opinion, which could drive a sane man nuts which by the way are either healthy or not healthy depending who you read. Personally, I go with the Pritikin, Ornish, Esselstyn, China Study crowd that shows that populations eating a low fat, plant oriented diet live longer, have less cancer, etc. YMMV.

Jim

• Posted

Jim, I think you need more sardines. smile Name me a study that is non-biased and as extensive as the one I mentioned above, regarding fat and longevity. Most past anti-fat studies or books are either unproven and usu are profit-motivated (to sell drugs, books, or diet foods). I read them all. Many of them just follow the bandwagons to catch some easy bucks. Some of them maybe right targeting against a certain enemies (like certain cancer or heart disease) but the end results are usu shorter life span, due to the human body complication. 

Two of the longest living women that recently passed away within the last 2 years. One had 3 eggs a day all her life. The other had scrambled eggs and bacon and grits for breakfast everyday. I guess they did not have constipation.

If more fat rids of my constipation, I'll stick with it. It can't be bad for the colon, and now, BPH. This new study just makes me feel a lot better about doing it. 

You better add more fat to your diet or I may outlive you. If that is the case, would you will me your Self Catherization discussions ? smile

Hank

• Posted

Questionnaire studies, like the ones you cite are always suspect, because so many variables plus the unreliability of lay people recording what they eat accurately. I like the more epidimological studies where professionals analyze how different populations eat, and then look for incidence of heart disease in a scientific way. The China Study and some of the older studies in Pritkin's first group do that. I also like the Ornish data where they show pictures of arterial regression before and after the diet. Personally, I've tried most combinations, and the only diet that gets both my cholesterol and bp down is a very low fat, low sodium, and relatively low protein diet. YMMV.

Jim

• Posted

Well, I'll guess you've have to wait until my answer comes out of "moderation" LOL. Not sure what I wrote that got me moderated! Try to be patient, although I 've found that it's hard to relax on a high fat, high protein diet. LOL.

Jim

• Posted

Don't feel bad, Jim. I would have been moderated too if I were on a low-fat, low-protein diet. 😁 Hank

• Posted

This is my experience with testicle/prostate pain/swelling over the last 4 years. I had a vas reversal in 2 ½ yrs ago. Sometimes my prostate swells but currently seems under control. Other than an occasional twinge I am now ok. Pain not due to STI. I am now in my mid 40's. This is how I manage:

1 x 10mg amitriptyline tablet each day (prescibed)

1 x 2.5mg alfuzosin tablet twice a day (prescibed)

1 x 1600mg saw palmetto & amino acids tablet (Lindens) each day (available online)

foot massage most days

managing constipation/straining (direct link with pain in my experience)- have a fibre-based diet/lots of water

• Posted

Thanks Dan, I agree with the high fiber. Too much water ( more than 2 liters a day ) makes me pee too often. It is not good at night. I am now managing OK with a little more salt and fat in my diet. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.