Constipation/diarrhoea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I've just been prescribed amitriptyline and I would like to know how many people have found it to cause intestinal changes and what these were please? Also, can I take it as and when the pain is bad or do I have to take it daily to feel it working please? I am taking it for nerve pain  which is worse some days more than others if that makes sense.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabriella.  , sorry to hear that I had to take them a few years back when I was going through my change of life because I couldn't sleep and was quite poorly with  panic attack   Dew. To my Body ,,  I found them really good it got be better ,, but only problem was it made me so tired hope it helps ,

• Posted

Hi Gabriella

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You didn't say what dose you have been prescribed by your doctor but you cannot just take Amitrityline as and when you have pain. This drug is a tricyclic antidepressant but was found to help in pain management. You should only take this drug as prescribed by doctor. It can take about two weeks to really start working. It will cause some stomach changes and tiredness but these usually wear off once your body gets used to it.

If you feel your curent dose is not enough you must talk to your doctor first before trying to increase dose. These drugs are not like taking an aspirin, they do have seriousr side affects. Please also read the flyer that came with your packet. It should provide you with much more info.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Regards Evie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.