Constipation following hysterectomy

Posted , 10 users are following.

7 days with no bowel movement, I'm miserable, cramping, bloating, hip and horrible back pain, it hurts to sit, stand and walk, I think I'm impacted because it's right there at the exit, but won't budge, it's not dry, liquid droplets of poo  do dribble  occasionally. I have been taking stool softener, miralax, lots of water, eating fruits, this is worse than the surgery, help!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Why can't you take suppositries? I had vaginal hysterectomy 4 days constipated I phoned the ward they told me to use 2 glycerin suppositries nurse said that's what they would have given me if I had been on the ward. I wish I had only taken one, two was too much. 7 days Is far too long to be like that. Good luck x

• Posted

It all depends on how the hysterectomy was performed.  If it was vaginal, then maybe you can use suppositories but if the surgeon went in through an abdominal incision, then I was told that suppositories were not allowed.  Your GP or, better still, hospital team, would be the ones to ask.

i do hope you find relief soon,Sally!

• Posted

Hi Sally, I had my op in February this year and I too had AWFUL pain because I could not go for a week, never ever had constipation before! I was recommended Lactulose as Movicol gave me terrible wind, I also had prunes each day for breakfast, I still have them most days. Don't forget, feet up on a low stool, (you can use two wrapped toilet rolls), relax and keep the curve in your back as you lean forwards at the hips. Drink lots of water too - good luck, you will feel a lot better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.