Constipation following Turp procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I had a TURP procedure 15 days ago & have been living a nightmare since. Got very constipated from the pain killers which I now haven't taken for 6 days & just sucking up the pain. I was 're admitted to hospital after 6 days post op for a couple of nights & given morphine to help with pain. Before leaving I was given an enema & managed a bowel movement. Apart from small movements after self administered micro enemas that was the last time I've managed to go. The constipation is now a major issue can any tell me if it would be safe to have clonic irrigation so soon after the procedure

Many thanks Shane

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I don't think one really impacts the other - you can have colinic irrigation or an enema if you need it. Eventually, the constipation would resolve anyway and if you need pain killers again (now or in the future) take a Senna laxative along with every pain killer and you should be OK.

• Posted

Been taking senna pods for over a week together with docusate sodium caps & micro enemas & nothing is moving. Feel so bloated & struggle to void if I lay down for to long. At the moment I'm wishing I didn't have op life is the pits

• Posted

I had TURP done 8 weeks post op tomorrow.

Worst thing I ever have went through , had 2 catheters one in my dick and a super pubic in my lower stomach.

Constipation was horrific with me also as were the bladder spasms!

I got severe infections each time they took out the catheter, they took them out several weeks apart .

IV antibiotics for 24 hours in hospital first time and several shots and 10 days of cipro on the 2nd one.

I am still experiencing pain at times along with retention.

I’m no better off today than before the surgery and all this suffering.

I wish you well my friend, try stool softeners after meals and I wouldn’t do to many enemas , that will only inflame the prostate and that’s the last thing you need right now.

• Posted

I don't know why Doctors don't inform us of constipation happening after surgery. I had a double hernia operation the old way ( surgical cutting, not laser, on each side of my groin). Talk about pain when trying to poop with deep cuts!! Get a box of prunes or liquid prune juice in a bottle. You'll be back to pooping pretty quick.

• Posted

Glycerin Suppositories work for me. All I have to do is say vicodine and I am constipated.
    • Posted

I was told absolutely no suppositories by my urologist, more irritation for the prostate from them 
    • Posted

They gave me a suppository in recovery to prevent bladder spasms. Must have worked. Didn't get any. I was told by a nurse I know lives in Ireland that there docs will NOT recommend using laxatives. Ppl over use them and it leads to lazy bowel syndrome. They say use prune juice etc instead.

• Posted

Been on prune juice aswell it's like there's a major blockage but none of the doctors beleive me just tell me it will go eventually. After over 2 weeks of hardly any sleep and in agony after laying down for more than 30mins I'm at my wits end.

• Posted

Regarding constipation have you tried Movicol. I think that is often used in hospitals in stubborn cases. I understand your frustration with the medics but you really need some proper medical advice. Persist with your GP or another GP or ring 111 and tell them what has happened. Go to A&E as a last resort. Are you sure it is constipation that is causing the pain?

Ask the hospital if clonic irrigation would damage your prostate. Don't rely on answers from this forum unless they are from a qualified doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for you advice I have now just had a Coffee enema which has made me feel so much better.

• Posted

Can anybody tell me if it's safe to have clonic irrigation ?

• Posted

It was 16 days post surgery before I had a BM .

I took stool softener and dukolax and went the next day, a little bit.

But after taking more dukolax 2 days later I had a record  BM 😂 just hang in there it takes awhile , maybe cut your pain meds by 50% as I did ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.