Constipation from painkillers/codeine. Possible it causes right sided discomfort around liver area?

Posted , 2 users are following.

hey ,

I take painkillers for lower back pain, which make me extremely constipated.

my question is , can constipation cause right sided discomfort , around liver area just below ribs, with discomfort around the flank area....it's not exactly super painful , maybe 3/10.

any advice is much appreciated.

thank you

Chris

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Chris, Sorry this took so long... You can absolutely have pain, or radiating pain from severe constipation, anywhere the bowl is(so bottom of ribs to pelvis and your colon is down right, across, down left) Codeine is the worst one I have ever had for causing this!! They say drink lots water, take Metamucil, stool softener.... yea right, it didnt work!! So then I tried Miralax/PEG3350, other names...(ask your DR. first even if its OTC)! GROSS ALERTyou take 17g of powder mixed in 1cup liquid, its really sweet, so goes good in 100% juice, it takes 3-4 days to kick in but, it works everytime, take it for at least 6 days to start, it sucks water into your poo making it soft, however.....the first time you go, you may have pretty solid movement at first, lube your bum inside & out with KY/mineral oil or some lubricant(not baby oil or petrolium jelly) it will help the hard part slide out, keep using it until soft poo starts...it will prevent tearing, hemorrhoids & screaming/swearing/crying!! Hopefully you got straightened out before now, if NOT you can run this by your DR or can use this for another time!! GOOD LUCK🍀☮🌈

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.