Constipation in old age.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know that constipation in old age is fairly common but I wonder if anyone realises how upsetting it is. Younger people seem to think it's fairly amusing when a parent complains about lack of bowel movement. Nor do they understand the relief and near euphoria when one at last manages to 'go'.

My real question is, how dangerous is constipation and how long should an elderly person wait before seeking professional help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I hear you.....

I don't know how long you can wait but I know when I have hard time to walk because of pain to my rt side and my back i know I am constipated. .....

I go every day or so but not enough I go to bed fine and then I get up I bang it hurts and I go to Emergency .

First time they taugh it was my appendix or twisted overie this is not the first time for me thenow they send me for tests and x-rays. .......how embarrassing when results come back and Dr tells you Mam you are impacted ...excuse me Doctor ....Mam you are full of Poo...they give me liquid stuff to take home ...

no enema ...

after that liquid I am fine for a while eat lots of fruits and veggies after a while it happens again

I tried it all those med but my problem is it works for a while then it stops ...I have to rotate this week I am at 1 cup of bran flakes with milk 6 prunes

1/2 a banana 2 tsps of flax seeds nd I leave it on the counter i go do my bed get dressed then i eat it..for now it is working ....today i did not go so i took another bowl of cereals now i am going to bed...

Good luck my dear....you are not alone

Please if anyone has advice feel free to share with us

Nite nite

• Posted

I totally hear you. Constipation is no laughing matter. I would get constipated all the time, but then I changed my diet and noticed that it subsided slightly. It never totally went away, but as long as I keep up with my "regimens" I'm good. I had a bit of an emergency constipation situation (not really, but it was a big deal to me). I didn't go to the bathroom for probably two weeks so I caved and bought an ebook and it actually helped, it wasn't a cure, but it made me poop 😛 This is the one if you're interested: https://www.the2daymethod.com. I would only do that for emergencies though...

Knowing that I'm prone to constipation, I make sure to drink more water than most people consider to be normal. I also eat a lot of fruit in the morning and that seems to keep me regular. I'll eat maybe 2 oranges on an empty stomach before anything else. I also find that green juice causes some kinda peristalsis...Hope you get some relief soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.