Constipation on and off for weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had constipation on and off for the last few months. I still have bowel movements every now and again but they are skinny or little balls. I said this to my GP and he gave me movicol sachets but they don't seem to work that well. Today I tried to force some out and ended up with blood in my stool and on my tissue. So now I'm extra worried. Anybody have any similar situations or advice on what to do. Im going to go back to my GP in the next day or so.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have your doctor put you on linzess 290 but give it time to work I took that for a while and it worked me everyday but you got to give it a week or two to get it really we're going for you and you can take a bowel softener in the morning and one at night along with that and prune juice is good also with lots of water if you take the linzess drink a whole glass of water with each time you take it they will give you samples at the doctor's office if you ask for them

• Posted

Persevere with Movicol; it can take days to work.   However, once you notice your stools becoming very loose, stop the laxative and try lots of fruit only.  This helped me.  Oranges and prune juice were very effective. Never, strain for a bowel movement because it can cause haemorrhoids or fissures that can bleed.
  • Posted

Try organic milled chia and flax seed, you can buy it on amazon, works every time for me and of course it’s healthy. 👍😁

• Posted

Have you had a colononoscomy (sp?) that is x-ray of your colon?  that you should have done.  As far as the bleeding from the rectum when you force the bowel movement that is likely why you were bleeding.  That has happened to me a few times.
  • Posted

Did you have a colonoscopy to make sure everything was okay with your bowels? My boyfriend has constipation problems and was given stool softener medication which helps him go more easily and frequently. You could ask your doctor about that to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.