Constipation problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 21 year old female. I have been suffering from very bad constipation. It seems to be on and off. I'll have periods of time where I have no issues, but then I will also have times where I suffer from constipation on a daily. My Mom suffers a little bit from IBS and is lactose intolerant. My half sister also has IBS. I think I suffer from lactose intolerance because whenever I have something with lactose I get extremely bad gas and it makes me constipated. However I have been avoiding lactose for a bit now and I am still constipated. I workout heavily 6-7 days a week and I have an excellent diet. I don't smoke nor do I drink excessively. I am an overall very healthy person. I don't know what is going on but it stressing me out! I am so constipated and I don't know what to do. Help!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered with occasional constipation since I was 17. I am now 62. I eventually was diagnosed with spastic colon (now called IBS) and soon after - ulcerative colitis. I always wonder if I had known better ways to manage the constipation, maybe I would have had a healthier bowel. My biggest problem was and still is, that I would wait until I had the urge to go. The better way is to attempt to go approximately the same time as part of your morning routine. This is key. Also, you have to eat breakfast so that the GI tract starts functioning and moving food along. There is a lot of info on the web about this. When I was young, I was up late and didn't give myself enough time in the morning before rushing off to work or school. If it still is a problem after modifying your habits, then talk to your physician about whether it could be IBS-C. You may want to keep a food diary and think about excluding dairy (dairy with whey can be a trigger), gluten and FODOP foods to see if that helps. Show this to your doctor. If they don't seem interested and helpful, then confront  them about that or change doctors if you can. I know how uncomfortable and even painful this can be and how it can negatively affect your quality of life. It's important for you and your doctor has to be willing to work with you. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I have been avoiding dairy and it seems to be helping but my bowel movements still aren't regular enough. I am going to take your advice about the morning too! Thank you (:

• Posted

You're welcome and also there are some great replies to some old old posts in this section about avoiding constipation by getting enough fiber and ways to safely treat it with stool softeners, etc. Reading through those might be real helpful. One thing that I completely forgot about is that calcium supplements and iron supplements can cause constipation so if you're taking any of those, there are some types that are better than others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.