Constipation that will not end due to medication I take, help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am a young 24 year old woman. I am for the most part healthy. I have to take a semi opiate and one of the side effects are constipation. I eat very healthy, lots of fiber, I only drink water and juice and the occasional glass of wine. I don't do a tremendous amount of exercise, however, I am by no means unhealthy. But I am either not passing a bowel movement or having to go to extremes with laxatives to use the bathroom. I hate it and I am sick and tired of it. For example, I had to take 4 Max. Strength exlax pills and do am adult laxative suppository to even see a little relief. I think I now have developed a tolerance to laxative. Help, please what should I do to get some relief? I can't keep living like this; being backed up and bloated and cramping to then be in horrible pain, cramps, and either a blow out or no real movement! Like for real I am F*****

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend coming off your opiates since they are the cause. What are you taking opiates for? Have you tried to manage your pain via other techniques and drugs? 
    • Posted

I don't take opiates. I take a semi opiate because I use to be on heroin, I take subzolv, which keeps me clean and fresh OK m relapsing. I don't like to say it ALOT because of the stigma that is recovering addicts get. And NA prefers you, an addict, not take anything. If I didn't take this medicine I would have died from addiction a year ago.

So it's not that simple. Plus I had IBS-C before I was given this medication so it is like a double whammy. Very scary. As I am so bloated and constipated that when I take a suppository it doesn't work. I have made an appointment for a GI doctor but that's in 3 weeks.

Just wish I could get relief I am starting to get sick in other ways.

I think I might have to go to the ER

• Posted

Hi mate, sorry about the problems you are having. One medicine that has worked wonders for me is Lactulose, it's worth a try if you can get it. This is medicine that draws water into the bowels, and you only need to take about 30ml of the stuff twice a day. It's also very good as you can take it for as long as possible and you don't develop a tolerance to it. The only laxatives really that shouldn't be hammered are the ones like Senna. (Forgot the name of the type) as they can cause the bowels and muscles to forget how to work properly. What suppositories have you been using? I found that Glycerin 8mg (i think 8mg) suppositories were really helpful and a few days use of them helped clear out the back passage. I'm not a regular user of Lactulose and has been the best medicine that's helped me. - had fecal impaction in my lower rectum and in my bowels, and no medicines helped i.e. Picolax, Movicol but Lactulose did. - sorry if I've talked on too much about my symptoms but I highly recommend Lactulose!! - also go to your doctor and see if you are able to get a x ray scan at your local hospital? Enquire about having a colonoscopy done? - I had one and it showed I had an underlying condition (anismus). Which put me at rest after years of just being given various medicines. 

Good luck - and yeah as per other comment opiates are notoriously bad for constipation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.