Constipation with low fiber diet

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was doing low fiber for 10days and after having diarreah I haven't had a BM for two days which is very unlike me. Is there anything I can take to move things along? Or a food to help?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Get yourself some lactose- its very gentle but works a treat. Do not take senacot and other tabs as they will make the bowel to constrict too much and can cause a flare up x make sure you are drinking enough too (if having more fibre your body needs even more liquid)
  • Posted

Yes! Agree with other replies - LACTULOSE - I take 10 ml morning and night every day - very gently softens stools and safe to take long term as it doesn't stay in the system (I've been taking it for 5years) - it's a miracle worker! Boots charge more, best from a smaller chemist.

• Posted

I have had IBS,and Gastritis, and Diverticulosis for years, I take fiber EVERY day, All my doctors, suggest that empting your bowels is the healthest thing you can do,  know one is totally sure what other things irrate the diverticulous, but they all agree that not keeping thinks moving our is a bad idea, I was one even told by an Emergency room doctor, durring a severe case of diverticulitis, he would rather I kept having diarreah, so I suggest to take a mild laxative, mirilax, or ducalax. 
    • Posted

Well it just shows that your colon moves well with fibre whereas mine completely stops working! For me the low residue passes easily through - it just  proves I guess that we are all individuals with different reactions to food etc. It goes without saying that having normal bowel movements every day is the main aim for us all - but I was told by my consultant to never take a laxative as it can be too much for a sensitive colon, which is why I take lactulose but again laxatives will suit others. I am glad you have found the diet that best suits you.
    • Posted

As you said Linda it goes to show that our bodie metabalize differently, I hope you did not harm your self by useing any of my advise, As you mentioned it id very important to have normal bowel movements, and what ever works for you, of course you sould keep doing it, I just re-enforces what I have said in other dissiussions, We Must know Our own Bodys and pay attention to what works for each of us. I wish you all the best in continuing to control you symptoms & flares and Infections.

Amelia

• Posted

Thank you Amelia, no it's fine, I have found the right diet for me and never deviate from it. The worst thing about the medical profession is just the laziness of stating 'lots of fibre, if you get pain go on antibiotics' - most of these doctors never think to investigate diverticulosis further, they only have to go on Patient UK or any other DD forum and read all the experiences and symptoms. Friends the same, 'oh I forgot, you're allergic to foods arn't you' or 'you've got IBS haven't you' if we're out for a meal, when I've told them countless times what my problem is! Now I don't bother to explain, I just say 'google it'. I did try chicken again recently but my colon didn't like it!!!! I never mind the hugely restricted diet I have tho as the fear of another flare keeps me on the straight and narrow! I do however really miss mashed potato, and chips (fries) and eggs!! Ah well, as my dear Dad always said 'there's plenty worse off than you' so I count my blessings. All the best to you and everyone - keep on keeping on!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.