Consultant report timeframes

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently was reviewed by a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon for damage to my lower back.  This review was carried our privately.  How long would be seen to be reasonable for this report to be produced and published back to me?

How long would this have been, should the review had been carried out under the NHS?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not sure about the time frame, but the detailed report you get from the private consultation will be far more detailed and friendly.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been seen privately and am now doing the NHS route.

Privately I had my first consultation at which time he referred me straight for an MRI - which I had the same day, I then went back the following week for the results and the plan of action.

This time, NHS route: I was referred by my GP in May last year, I had my first consultation middle of September and was referred for an MRI which I eventually had at the end of November last year. I'm still waiting for an appointment for the results and what to do next.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Posted

I would try and find out the consultant NHS secretary's name and contact them to find out the next step.
  • Posted

Thank mr9000, I have done this and was told that they're currently not making any appointments as they're working through the waiting list (which I am apparently on), and if I like I can try phoning back again in a few weeks. So, am guessing I won't be getting an appointment any time soon.
  • Posted

I'm seeing my surgeon again soon before I get any operation, I'm hoping that he will do an X-ray or better still an MRI so we know exactly what the issue is instead of removing my gall bladder and hoping that it fixes my pain issues.
  • Posted

Good luck, I hope they sort you out soon!

My lovely GP is now on the case and is going to write to the consultant's secretary to see if that will speed things up a bit. I'd quite like to get seen and hopefully have something done before I completely lose the use of my right leg again!

• Posted

Well good news - I finally have an appointment to see my consultant! Guess my GP's letter must have done the trick. When I phoned to chase and was told I did actually have an appointment I was told I should perhaps go out and buy a lottery ticket too!

Best of luck to you guys!

• Posted

I think it depends which part of the country you live in with regard to waiting time. I had MRI within 2 weeks of being referred and live in Edinburgh and results were with GP within 10 days.

I worked in a hospital as a secretary to a Consultant and really it depended on how much work I had to get through and signed off as to how long it took for the results to be sent to GP. Consultants are usually very good with handing over a tape to be transcribed to the secretary within 1/2 days of seeing the patient.

Same for Consultants waiting list, they organise their own waiting list and it depends how many theatres are available in each department. Some Consultants do not have any waiting lists and others do, all depends on facilities/theatres available to them in the hospital. Nowadays all results are sent electronically from hospital to GP surgery.

• Posted

Not with my surgery, I have to wait till the GP receives the letter from the consultant, and I am in Edinburgh also.

I hate it when you expect to see the consultant on the letter and when you are called it's a Registrar for the consultant that you get to see.

• Posted

I cannot understand that. All correspondence and results are shared within the NHS and are electronic. Can only think your surgery does not have up to date IT equipment.

Suggest you ask your GP next time you visit or give the surgery a call and question them.

Sometimes you may see the Registrar as the Consultant might be in theatre operating or working on an emergency.

Prior to attending the appointment you can always phone the hospital appointment department and ask if it is indeed the actual Consultant you are going to be meeting. All Consultants hold outpatient "Clinic Days".

I didn't see my Consultant for one appointment as expected but met her months later when she told me she had been off sick for 6 months.

Hope the info helps.

• Posted

The consultant I should have been seeing was there as I saw him, he just must have asked that registrar to see me in particular.

My surgery has something called Sky I think they told me once, and they could read certain bits of info they said, but this makes me wonder why I was told I needed to wait 2 weeks by the registrar if this is indeed the case about fast IT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.