Consultant suspects mild Crohns

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , following bloody stools , first had a flex sygmoidoscopy , which indicated a patch of inflammation , symptoms continued , a full colonoscopy was done , again the small area of inflammation was evident and biopsies were clear .

i was started of Mezastalin tabs as surgeon suspected ulcerative colitis . I was then referred to a gastro enterologist , who has started me on Prednisalone , starting on a 40mg course & winding down , which , he said , he felt would sort it out . I'm on my 2nd week now , still have bleeding , is this normal ? Does it take a while to kick in ? I haven't had any pain at all at any time with this . Also , I feel REALLY well , however , my sleep is dreadful , normally I sleep very well , he did say this could happen & should regulate in time . 

Am I expecting miracles too soon ?

thanks in advance 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Im sorry that the pred hasnt helped the bleeding.

I cant give any advice, pred didnt do anything for me but my symptoms werent the same.

May be worth ringing the nurse and asking them though.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi,  Sorry to hear of your problems, they are much the same as I was five years ago.  I was put on Prednisalone and Pentasa.  My consultant put me on the Prednisalone for 8 months then weaned me off, as you have to, then he put me on Azathiprine for 4 years as this is not as strong as the Prednisalone.  I am now only on Pentasa (says me touching wood as I am now so to speak under control).  It does take time for the Prednisalone to work especially if you have been suffering for a little while with the symptoms.  Everyone suffers differently with medication and what suits one person doesn't suite someone else as I have found out with my brother who suffers the same. He is on different medication to me.  Be a little patient and see what happens.  But please also talk to your nurse who will reassure you.  They are there for you, so speak to them.  Good luck and I do hope the medication you are on works for you as it has me. 

• Posted

Good luck for next week.  Try and stay positive because stressing over things will not help.  I will not say there is a satisfactory end to this illness but things do get much much better. !!  Fingers crossed for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.