Contact dermatitis blisters on the hand, anyone else have this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had eczema since I was little (I'm now 21), it's under control due to steroid creams and moisturizers. However, I've recently started working in a school where I have to wear latex gloves for hygiene reasons.

I believe I'm allergic to them (as well as water) and have just a small rash on my hand- very itchy and peeling. Small blisters also. Picture below.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/lovelylucy798/20140330_135716.jpg

It varies in soreness and has also spread down my hand. I've tried strong steroid creams, vaseline, e45, sudocrem, as well as various Corticosteroid creams. Nothings has worked yet. Anyone got any ideas? I'm off to the doctor in 2 weeks (earliest I could get an appointment).

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I have eczema too. What you have is like an allergic reaction. I get that sometimes. Try to use the non latex gloves. If you been using the same creams most of your life you will become immune to them. As far as being allergic to water, me too. It started when I got older, moisturize before you get in the shower. I know it sounds weird but it helps some. Be careful with vaseline. It helps moisturize but after a while its not good. Now it makes me itch worst. It has petroleum and the dr told me thats not good for your skin. Only thing that ever works is prednisone. Try taking L-Lysine and B12. Drink plenty of water and watch your diet. Dairy can make you worst, Hope you get better. And for your rash, keep it clean, wash it with unscented soap (Dove)and put Cetaphil cream on it. Put it on while its still damp and wrap it up to keep the moisture in. Good luck!
  • Posted

Yes, it seems your skin is allergic to latex. The exact cause of latex allergy is unknown, but it is thought that repeated exposure to latex and rubber products may induce signs and symptoms.

Consider using vinyl or any other synthetic gloves. There are many good brands available in powder-free nitrile and vinyl color gloves, for e.g. Feelsafe. You can choose one as per your requirement for which you need to wear these gloves.

Wish you the best health.

Regards,

Luis

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies. I wore just plastic gloves from a home dying kit today and there was no itching so that's a good sign. So I think that must be the problem. Being allergic to water is still very annoying. I will let you know what the doctor says next week.

Lucy

• Posted

Latex blood test came back negative but positive for Immunoglobulin (possibly e as thats to do with allergies). No idea what this is or how to treat it. Back to the doc it is.
  • Posted

It might be of interest that the plant family Euphorbia from which latex comes ,is highly irretant if contact is made with the sap.

Its a poular  and beautiful garden plant .

• Posted

Just a thought, although I realise this is a while back, so hopefully you're sorted now.

Sweating inside any synthetic glove is a problem - whatever plastic based material they're made out of.

Therefore, I always wear cotton gloves under any over gloves. It's a bit boring, but I find the sweating is often the cause of the problem, and will certainly make anything already sore an awful lot worse. Just the cotton gloves you buy from any pharmacy (white).

Also, beware any gloves that have 'powder' in them. I don't know what that powder is, but it stings my skin badly!

• Posted

Hello! Thank you for your responses, I'm still suffering with these blisters. Doctors didn't help, they pretty much told me to find out what I'm allergic to myself. I went gluten free and then dairy free, the latter seemed to help. Dairy free has helped my acne too! Yes, I have horrible skin :P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.