Contact dermatitis - HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

It appeared during my second pregnancy. Since then I've had a daily struggle with the issue. My hands blister, weep, crack, bleed, become dry and scaly along with being itchy 24/7. The dr only suggests to me steroid cream that I cannot use all the time. I need advice as to calming the issue. Anything and I mean anything and everything flares the condition. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

May I just say that this condition is only on my fingers. Not hands, palms or thumbs. 
  • Posted

Hiya,

I'm very sorry to hear that you have been plagued with this complaint.  I have experienced it before on my face and now it has recurred on my hands, possibly as a result of constantly taking medications for six months.  I find that Aloe Vera from Holland & Barrett really helps to take down the stinging and the desire to itch.  

Hope that this helps.

• Posted

It may help to request a patch test via your gp as you may be using something that you are allergic to. Have you changed anything that you use on a daily basis? Baby wipes are a common trigger for hand eczema, as are shower gels shampoos washing up liquid etc. Even rubber handles on push chairs can trigger problems in some.  try to protect your hands as much as poss and use the steroid cream for at least 14 days then wean off gradually and ask for a referral to a dermatologist. Good luck 
  • Posted

Have you managed to find out what it is that you are allergic to? Maybe using normal moisturising creams would help such as Epaderm or Doublebase Gel prescribed by your doctor. Hope this helps. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.