contact with immunosurpressed people

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am currently suffering from a dose of shingles and I'm due to visit my parents on Sunday who are both immuno compromised, do I pose any risk to them by coming into contact with them?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

I am sorry you are experiencing shingles.

How long have you had the shingles?

Where are the shingles?

Are you on the antivirals and for how long?

Have the lesions crusted over?

Also,

when you say your mother and father are immunocompromised, would you be more specific, please?

Cancer receiving chemo or radiation, vs Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, Psoriasis receiving immunomodulating drugs?

It just helps to know more details .

Thank you.

Merry

• Posted

I've had shingles for almost 2 weeks. My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and is on Enbrel injections and my father has Crohn's and has been on infliximab although I believe that has now stopped.
  • Posted

Vanessa

Either ring 111 and ask for advice or visit a pharmacist, providing you know what medication your mother and father are currently taking.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

As the lesions are on your hip, have crusted over, and shall be covered with clothing, your parents should not be in danger from contracting shingles. The danger occurs when lesions are newly forming in the vesicles-blisters stage, can rupture easily, and then infect one which is immunocompromised. I hope this helps.

Merry

• Posted

You only pose a risk if they never had chicken pox and come into contact with the fluid from your shingles.  Otherwise, there is no danger to them ~ or to other people in the same situation.
  • Posted

Re: risk of transmission

I read Susan's comment. Usually people over a certain age have had chickenpox and therefore cannot contract chickenpox from you. There are rare instances when an individual contracts it twice, or was misdiagnosed and with an adult who is immunocompromised, it would be risky. Again, as your lesions have crusted, and therefore have no fluid, and also will be covered, your parents are safe.

• Posted

Besides what the other people have told you, like the blisters and fluid being Mostly the infectious part, if you want to be extra cautious, go to a pharmacy that has medical supplies. They will have special bandages that are special barrier safe bandages that block out anything that is infectious. I had a severe bout of my reoccurring shingles, and my stepdaughter had just had a liver transplant. I did it also for her to feel comfortable and know what steps I wud go to to protect her, besides for double protection.Hope you feel better. You will more than likely have lingering symptoms and aftereffects. I been having reoccurring Shingles for 35 years. It's actually a blessing to have 1 episode! Take care.
    • Posted

I have recurrent Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. Shingles is excruciating. I agree with you about the dressing / bandage. That is a third layer as the crust is the first, your clothes the second, and the dressing the third. You must be careful, however, not to place any tape over the crusts as you wish them to fall off on their own, not to remove them prematurely with the tape. Please enjoy your parents.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.