Contemplating surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 65 and have had new glass seven months ago, extremely nearsighted and am schemed to have cataract surgery in a week. my eyesight has changed in seven months and I need new glasses, but am worried about retinal detachment due to extreme nearsightedness, would like to hear some thoughts.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Cataract surgery has to do with clearing the cataracts out of the natural lense. Then a new lense replaces the cataracts. Cannot necessarily improve vision only clear it and get color and depth back. 
  • Posted

The risk is low with modern cataract surgery, in fact  if you google (they moderate links) this title:

"Cataract surgery not apparent risk factor for retinal detachment in highly myopic eyes, study finds"

You'll see one study being reported in 2010 suggesting that modern cataract sugery doesn't increase the risk, its merely that high myopes are at greater risk to begin with. I don't know how high your myopia is, the level does make a difference. Of course that was just one study, I haven't checked to see whether other studies have confirmed or contradicted it since then.

It used to be using older surgical techniques that cataract surgery was much more traumatic to the eye and retinal detachment was a greater risk, which is why some sites still mention old data based on those older techniques,  but modern surgery has evolved to try to disturb the retina as little as possible so the risk is much lower. 

Usually if there is a retinal detachment, it isn't something that happens during surgery, one study put the average time at 39 months to give some idea. Men and those under 60 are also more at risk (its odd that being younger would be more of a risk factor, but thats what the studie say). I hadn't checked for recent data for what your risk would be, but even if its higher than average, its still low. Unfortunately cataract surgery needs to be done, so its not like the risk of retinal detachment would change that. Its just something you need to be aware of so you get to an eye doctor if you ever see signs of it (and its usually something they can deal with when you get treatment as soon as you spot signs, so its not something to panic about). 

I'm in the highest risk group, an atypically young male high myope, but I hadn't even bothered to try to look up the best data for my risk factors before surgery (or since)  since it doesn't change the fact that its unlikely,  and it merely means I just need to get to a doctor if I spot signs of problems. 

• Posted

I had surgery about six months ago. Good and bad seeing at 20 / 40 bad

Seeing wrinkles I never saw before. Distance is a little less then perfect

I would encourage you to get the shot in the eye much better then all the

Combination of drops. Talk to your ophthalmologist about your concerns.

I had a separate surgeon that gave me his private number if anything would

Come up after the surgery. In and out in a short time. It is normal to be scared

I knew it was time when I could not see big print on the tv from three feet away

It was two years ago I was told I had cataracts and was told I would need

To have surgery by then. Having a little trouble with dry eyes but then allergies

Are always a problem. Very low incidence of things going bad. Good luck and give

the board a report. Piece of cake

• Posted

Surgery completed on left eye, no problems so far, can see pretty well but right eye of course is blurry due to being 20/400 in that eye. Next surgery is Monday, he has changed Rex of lense for right eyes two follow ups this week before surgery, he is a pretty thorough dr. Can't wait to get this all over with

• Posted

Surgery completed March 6 on right on right eye. This time  when I put the eyedrops in, my right eye burned, Second day first drops no problem. Can see with iPad great, distance great, but have to use  reading glasses for books. Going back to dr this morning for recheck. So far I am pleased , have worn eye glasses since second grade, am 65 and reach for them the minute I get up. Of course this is only the fIRS day after both surgeries cimpleted
    • Posted

Both surgeies complied, no problems but dry eyes. Refresh seems to fix but afterwards don't like feeling in eyes, is there a better solution than refresh for dryness. I see wonderfully, do not need glasses eve to read

• Posted

Which lenses did you get? Did you have astigmatism? It sounds like you're getting a great result. So is your near, intermediate and far vision all equally good?

• Posted

Toric lenses I believe, can read even small print and see distance great. I go back for my final check up next Tuesday.  I spent money out of pocked for the lenses as most eyes were so bad , minus 11 and minus 12
  • Posted

You haven't said your degree of myopia, but the risk of retinal detachment is low enough that I wouldn't be concerned. I always seem to be the person that has whatever horrible risk factor etc., but the research really doesn't seem to indicate any kind of link. I think your risk of retinal detachment is probably the same either having cataract surgery or not. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.