contemplating TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning!  I have a tibial plateau fracture, with a lateral depression, so my lower leg is angled out (valgus), and it also makes my foot angled to get flat on the ground.  I'm told since the cartilage broke, I have arthritis.  It is not unbearable, but I limp, my walking is limited, and I feel unstable on my feet.  Mostly I have been told to wait until I can't stand it, but it already interferes with my activity.  How long have some of you waited?  Was it worth it?  My doctor says he will do it in about 6 months.  I am eager and terrified!  What if....?!  The lateral depression means some filling in of the hole, and maybe healing a little slower?  Anyone else have this problem?  thanks for any advise!  Jan

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can only tell you my own experience.

I had TKR 6 years ago. I waited about 9 or 10 months from going to GP with it to having the operation.

It has been a success for me but very hard work following the operation.

It can take about a year before you really begin to feel the benefits.

Don't know where you live.

I live in Wales and had my operation in Hereford. My consultant was absolutely excellent. Mr Matthew Oakley.

If you live anywhere reasonably near Hereford I really would recommend him to you.

Hope all this helps you to make the decision that is right for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you Sarah!  I live in the US, in Southern California.  But our needs are the same, I'm sure!  I am getting the impression it is hard work afterwards.  I'm glad it is going well for you, and hope I have the same outcome.

Jan

• Posted

It is a challenging experience, but well worth it. It's fantastic to be able to walk as much ad I need to pain free. Well worth it.

If you are kind to yourself and determined you will be fine.

Everyone's experience is different and we cope with things in different ways. I found reading about others experience of TKR very helpful before the surgery and afterwards. This forum is quite a blessing to a lot of people. Bear in mind that forums tend to over represent the challenges and difficulties people encounter because they go on them to seek help and reassurance. So many more people have easier rides, so to speak. However being prepared for the worse, but not expecting the worst, worked well for me as a general principle!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the 1 2 month mark!

I also wrote about how things were in the year before surgery.

I was desperate for a knee replacement. Life was like a funnel....getting narrower and narrower!

• Posted

Thank you, Jenny!  I have checked out your journal--very informative.  Hope it is going well now.  Jan
    • Posted

Its amazing...yes, hard, but i have my life back!

Sending good wishes your way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.