Continued discomfort after a PE

Posted , 30 users are following.

I had a PE 2 years ago but I still get intermittent chest pain in my upper chest Even now. It is not brought on by exercise and does not go away when I put pressure on the area. I never had this before the PE. Has anyone else had a similar experience to myself?

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, I don't usually get involved with online discussions but have been very encouraged by all the help and advice on this forum, so thank you!

Like most of you, I was diagnosed with 'extensive' blood clots in my right lung 9 weeks ago and have been on a roller coaster since then! The GP was fantastic as I went in to get antibiotics for a chest infection (which I did have) but he did the D-Dimer blood test to eliminate chance of clots which came back positive. Taken to hospital and given Clexane as I was fully scanned and tested. Still believed until the last minute that it was probably pneumonia so was completely shocked when it turned out to be a PE. 

My medical treatment has been great, my GP practice have been very helpful but I'm not due to see the consultant again until the end of May and I'm scared. I have had real tightness in my chest (particularly bad this week for no apparent reason), I get exhausted after just tidying the kitchen or cooking dinner and still struggle to get deep breaths much of the time. The GP is sympathetic and says it will just take time so it's encouraging to read that other people have had or are still having the exact same symptoms. Have felt very anxious and depressed, have hardly been anywhere other than home since it happened and have no idea if the clots are dispersing, or whether I have scar tissue that is making my right side and back feel so sore for no apparent reason at particular times.

it also makes it difficult at home with two kids and a husband who have been brilliant, but because I look normal, it's easy for them to forget that I'm still not well. I then feel guilty that I can't go to the park with the kids or keep on top of the housework etc. Just because I'm at home all day! It's tough. The psychological and emotional impact of having a PE is huge and was even mentioned when I was in hospital, so keep thinking that I must be 'weak" for not recovering more quickly!!

Thanks

• Posted

I had a factor 5 bilateral pe almost 4 years ago and have spent so much money on false alarms now I don't even know what pains are real or not so I'm in the same boat 

• Posted

I know this is an old thread. I’m relieved to hear that there are others out there going through the same thing that I am. I had a PE in 2004 and then again December 2015. I have positive lupus anticoagulant which diagnoses me with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome,  a clotting disorder with numerous other symptoms hence the term syndrome. After this last PE I can’t even count the number of times I’ve been to the ER thinking it was happening again. Especially because people with my disease tend to still clot on anticoagulants. I took Xarelto for a year and had 2 Mini-strokes. I am now on Coumadin. I get significant pain in all sides of my lungs.....front, sides and back. Sometimes it’s achy and other times sharp. I’ve also been told I have fibromyalgia and  costochondritis which is arthritis and inflammation around the sternum and ribs. 

I think it must all be related. When I’ve gone to the ER I’ve been told I have Pleurisy. Some docs are quite nice and sympathetic about it but some have been compete A#@holes, treating me like I’m a nut case just making extra work for them. If only they could feel like we do for a day!  

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this...i had my PE one month ago and am on Xeralto . I found out I am positive for a Factor V  and was dx several months ago MCTD (Mixed Connective ). Wow, they assured me my blood thinner would take care of my PE & the DVT in my leg. I guess i cannot take anything for granted .

• Posted

May I ask what the symptoms of your ministrokes were?  I also have pain in my back, under my arms, and chest .  I was told this is normal for only having the PE a month ago.
    • Posted

you are not lying about that JenInCali i wish these idiots would feel what i'm feeling i can't even sleep at night is this going to be for the rest of my life?? i'm so sorry to hear what you are going through (what we all are going through) how am i suppose to work like this?  I know my PE is new it's only been 3 weeks but does anyone get all the way better??? This is too much i am definitely going to the Dr.'s come monday and i am gonna need some answers I mean damn they went to school for like 8 years???????

• Posted

Hi Sandeep. 3 to 6 weeks? I'm not sure who told you that, but a full recovery from a PE typically takes up to a year. I am a year and two months out, and just now beginning to feel like myself again. You need to try and stay calm, and know it's a long road ahead. Your chest will hurt, but it's probably the psychological factor that is the most difficult to get through. Maybe your Dr can prescribe something to help keep calm. Best of luck.

• Posted

TGrove man thanks for your reply!!!  I've been looking for someone to speak with about this whole thing.  It's like the Dr.'s know nothing!!!  They just know how to administer the pain relievers and that's it (well a bit more than that) and i want answers the pain is crazy.  My pain only comes from like 8pm til like 630am (or like 20 minutes after i wake up) the pain if so bad.  I am a very athletic individual i play a lot of basketball and workout and jog everyday so you know this is incredibly hard on me.  I even have my last wrist band from the last emergency room on my wrist still to remind myself....but again thanks for reaching out it means a lot

• Posted

Take it slow, you have a long road ahead of you. I felt the same way. There isn't a lot of post PE literature, everybody is different, but nobody heals fast after one of these. Emotionally or physically.

• Posted

Hi, I started this thread last year so just thought I’d update everyone - sandeep58634 and TGrove especially! TGrove you sound as though you’re in a similar place to me... it’s 12 months and 3 weeks since I had my PE and I am just STARTING to see my old self again. This week I had a very busy week at work- something that was just normal before my PE - and by Friday night I was exhausted. What I call my PE tiredness - had to cancel a night out with friends and just lie down! But, that is the first time I’ve felt that horrible fatigue for a few weeks, which actually made me feel very positive about how far I’ve come. 

I could not believe how long this recovery process is - I was off work for 5 months, then back on reduced hours until Christmas and am only now starting to recognise the old me. The psychological recovery from this cannot be underestimated and it does impact on your physical recovery- and vice versa. I’m on antidepressants and have suffered incredible anxiety - something I’ve never known. It’s been hard work, but I have seen a fabulous counsellor and have had reflexology treatment, massage and osteopathic therapy which has all helped me. But the biggest help has been time and unfortunately it’s very frustrating when you can’t do the things you used to without feeling exhausted or out of breath. And I’m not an athletic person - I’m just talking about gardening or running up and down stairs after the kids! Look up Serena Williams’ story - she was a world class athlete and it happened to her. It took her a year to get back to her previous fitness level so that she could just start training again!

So take your time, try to be kind to yourself as much as you can and listen to your body. I still get a heavy chest and aching across my shoulder blades and still have to focus on taking deep breaths - particularly when I’m tired or stressed. My legs feel heavy and I’m paranoid about every slight pain or discomfort - in case it’s another clot - but I can reason with myself a bit more now instead of just panicking or shutting down.  Your body and your brain have to recover together and you can’t rush it. Trust me I tried! But now I can see the future again and I can look back to see how far I’ve come - you will too. Take care x

• Posted

Thank you Sally. Yes we do sound very similar. I still get chest tightness, and chest pain here and there, and worry about another clot, although I try not to. Can I ask if you are still on a blood thinner? I tried all of the new ones, but the side effects were awful. I am now on baby aspirin and some natural supplements, and hoping for the best. I want to feel like my old self again, and slowly but surely I'm getting there, but also fear that I might not ever get quite there. Most of the way there would feel pretty dang good though 🙂

• Posted

Hey sally7165 thanks for your reply it means a lot.  It's been 23 days since my PE and last night was the first night i slept "fitfully" but not in my mind.  Everytime i turned or moved i expected to feel the pain but it didn't happen and i took 0 hydro cortone. Did you take a lot of hydro cortone during your recovery??  I guess PE recovery is a hard thing to determine with every person like TGrove said everyone is different so there really isn't no standard however i feel so much better talking to you guys.  You guys are my predecessors in this whole PE thing.  I really take your guys' suggestions cause you've been through it whereas the Dr.'s haven't.  Thank you so much

• Posted

Hi to you and TGrove - glad my post was useful!I didn’t take any hydrocortisone treatment. Just rivaroxiban tablets 20mg a day. My consultant wants me to stay on them for life, which freaks me out a bit... but to be honest I would be too scared to come off them yet anyway! I haven’t had any major side effects, but I did get anaemia and have been prescribed folic acid to rebalance my blood. I’ve also started taking a good mult vitamin to try and prevent it happening again. It is hard to know if the medication causes things or it’s just part of the recovery process! 🙄

• Posted

Hey sally7165 your correspondence is crucial. I need to talk to people who've been through the pain and manage their recovery so, once again, thanks.  Today i am 4 week from my PE.  I be honest with you i feel a lot better and i do understand (through you guys) that each recovery process is different for each individual.  I used to have this deep aching pain which you would think was in your shoulder however that is now gone and i can sleep at night.  What i do have is this cramp in the bottom of my lungs like i was 18years old and ran two miles and was trying to get my best time lol.  That's the pain i have now which i can live with, not forever but way better than what i had before.  Did you have similar pains?  I am on Pradaxa which is for chest and lung PE's type deal suppose to be kinda new.  I take it twice a day.  I was speaking with a nurse yesterday and she things this may be from the cancer i have in my head and my body is trying to heal it.  Well i've told my body to stop doing that so i should be fine,.. just kidding.  Thanks all who listen.  Take care

• Posted

I had my PE a month ago and my PCp said my chest/plural pain is normal . He said as I'm on blood thinner and healing, that some lung tissue can die in the process. I take that as the possibility I will have  permanent lung damage or worse. I'm sure scar tissue can be formed as well.

• Posted

Hey Suzyp I know exactly what you are going through i had my PE 3 weeks ago and its no joke i wish the doctors knew what kind of pain we go through and now i am hearing that it could be for LIFE????? This is unimaginable...let me ask you something? Is your pain 24/7 or does it come and go? Mine is fine during the day and at night time it is really bad and the Dr.'s have no explanation for this....I don't get it? Am i gonna be the one who sets forth a standard for all the BS that i go through with this PE???  I really need some standards so i am not always thinking i am getting another embolism but believe me i'm here with all you guys....this s**t sucks bad

• Posted

Hey Suzyp i was wondering if perhaps we could keep in touch?  I just had my PE a little over 3 weeks ago and perhaps maybe we'll be the ones who return to a normal life.  I am 41 years old i am very athletic i work out everyday and like to jog and take my dogs on long walks, just so you know how hard this is on me. I'm trying to do the bare minimum. I even have my wrist band from my last emergency room on my wrist still to remind me.  This really sucks. I hope your recovery is a good one but perhaps we could chat since we are new to this PE thing.. thanks

• Posted

My pain is much worse at night. I have a few ideas why... Do you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.