Continued mouth issues. Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies. Since starting the menopause 3 years ago I have had repeated problems with my mouth. My gums were painful and swollen and I got a burning sensation in my mouth but those symptoms went away and were replaced with bleeding and receding gums. My bottom lip is swollen and I have excessive saliva and sometimes I get white spots on the inside of my cheeks. I've been tested for oral thrush by my doctor and I've even seen my dentist thrice but no one seems to know how to help me. My bottom lip is now so swollen that it's visible from the outside. I've been using Dr Google which freaked me out. Apparently, only people who have diabetes, cancer patients undergoing chemo and auto-immune disease suffers get mouth sores. Please help as I'm terrified that I will never get rid of this problem.

Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Faz, maybe you need to see a different doc other than a dentist. My son had painful sores in his mouth and throat as a kid, an ENT was able to diagnose it and treat it. When he gets stressed he still gets them even though he's now way in to his mid 20's.

As far as burning gums, my sister had that in peri. She kept going to her dentist and he finally told her she was just a hysterical woman (gotta love that, right?). She didn't know it was related to hormones at the time.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this information and the advice Suzanne. All the best to your son. Kind regards to you and your family.

• Posted

there is a condition called Linchen planus that you can get in your mouth or other parts of your body I would ask to be checked for this condition

• Posted

Thank you Gillian. I will certainly ask my dr about this condition. Kind regards.

• Posted

Can you gargle with warm salt water for your bottom lip?? Could help and also with your gums too! Hope you feel better soon!!!

• Posted

Google “magic mouthwash “. I just saw that on the Internet. Magic Mouthwash Recipe 2 (also called "Xyloxadryl" or "BMX")

1 Part viscous lidocaine 2%

1 Part Maalox (do not substitute Kaopectate)

1 Part diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir.

• Posted

Hi Faz

As part of Peri I have burning mouth syndrome that has much of what you have written and more. with each person it varies but with a common factor of burning usually the tongue. It can also be the lips or just one and the throat. i too sought out the dr and the dentist for painful gums and teeth but was told i have perfectly normal teeth and gums, no holes etc so no cause for these issues as far as dental goes.

Anyway as i said turned out to all be part of burning mouth syndrome so maybe check that out too. I take carbamazepine for it and it helps a great deal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.