continued nerve pain after lumbar fusion L 3 4 5

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've tried gabapentin & Lyrica, minimal releif. I'm 5 months post op.

I was wondering if RFA  nerve ablation has worked for anyone ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you talking about ablation of the nerves to the facet joints (outside points of a vertebrae that touch the vertebrae above and below it? If so, I have had that procedure done 3 times. Just two weeks since my last one. The doctors do a diagnostic medial nerve block of lydocaine first to determine if it will help. If that test is positive (each test gave me a blissful few hours of relief of almost all symptoms) I highly reccomend following up with the procedure. I am aware of two techniques and each time I opted for the more aggressive one (not the pulse). 
    • Posted

I'm not sure what type.  I am considering all options.  Ive had a lumbar fusion and am still having radiculapthy to my right lower extremity. 

How long did the pain relief last for you ?

• Posted

One other thing you might consider looking into are the tight muscles as a result of your surgery. The lumbar nerves pass through several large muscles. For me it is the QL (Quadratis Lumborum) which attaches your lumbar vertebrae to your floating rib and your hip's iliac crest. A tight muscle squeezing a nerve can cause hip and leg paiin similar to lumbar pressure. I am currently working on relaxing my QL.  

• Posted

They have always told me six months to 1.5 years and then you can keep repeating them. The symptoms slowly returned so I was able to space mine out...2001, 2003, (then an injury and two successful discectomies) then a fall in 2014 caused more degeneration and I was helped by two more in 2015, 2017.  I also have disc problems so sort of a puzzle of sorting out the symptoms. The golden rule for facet issues is a successful diagnostic medial nerve block along with your symptom patterns. Cymbalta and Lyrica for six years only messed me up. I was very busy dealing with the symptoms from the medications! When getting off Cymbalta I experienced the withdrawal symptom called "brain zaps" so I will never go on them again. 

Of all my treatments I think the RFA was really worth it...not a cure but ahhh the relief. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.