Continued Urinary Tract Infections for over 5 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 75 yrs old male and get UTI's nearly every month although I think I never really get rid of them as my urine is regularly cloudy, smelling and brown. Regularly given the same A/B's Ertapenem, Pivmacillan,Trimethoprim, Amoxicillan, Nitrofurantoin, Co Amoxicillan and Flucloxacillan, can't take Ofloxacin as it reacts. This all got worse after having Sepsis and has never got better, and think something remains even when urine samples cultured show nothing. My Prostate was removed for Cancer and meant to cure UTI's but that has not happened. Also seem to get an infection which makes my anus sore when walking and have to use Anusol pessaries to ease pain. Am incontinent on pads and condom sheaths as well. No Drs seem to be able or keen to get to the bottom of this, and I wondered if anyone has suffered similar and got a cure or any suggestions what I can do.

David

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, make sure you're really well hydrated.

Secondly, when you say you're getting infections, are your sample actually coming back positive for bacteria every time?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, and I drink fairly well but too much causes me more problems with incontinence.

Regarding samples, had a problem at the start as many only had the dipstick test and were shown as clear, and ended up discussing with Dr as in articles many UTI's can get through dipstick test. All samples now go in but many get rejected after 2 days and I get no reason but have to produce a sample in a red capped bottle. 50% show infection and 50% clear in my reckoning and had a sample one day at the Dr and next day in hospital and two different results. Think some infections get through the test but still think some embeded in by Sepsis.

David

• Posted

The reason I ask is because this sounds like one of 2 things- chronic low grade infection, which would require long term low dose antibiotics (think 3-6months worth) , or possibly interstitial cystitis- which is bladder irritation causing all the symptoms of uti but here is actually no infection there.

• Posted

leeniepie,Getting a Cystoscopy next month so might see any bladder irritation, Had two sessions in the past going to hospital every day for 28 days at a time to get IV a/b's but only got me 2 months clear after each session. Low dose A/B's could be another option although they have talked about going into hospital to get high intensity A/B's to flush anything out. Will wait and see.

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.