Continuing pain after herpes where the rash was ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had herpes along my upper abdomen over the rib area and around to my back on that side ...  it has been 2 months now since the outbreak and the pain is better but that area over where the rash was still hurts and sometimes little stabbing jabs .. is this normal for some ..I am 71 yrs and fairly healthy and active . Any suggestions ??!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

yes, that is a common complaint.  I had that in the first few weeks after the rash had gone away.  I hope with your case it all goes away soon.  Mine turned into PHN and after 1 1/2 yrs I still have pain, but not the sharp jabbing.  Now it’s a skin sensitivity.  The jabbing pain was the worst.  I can manage the skin pain with lidocaine creams and ibprophen.  I hope for you that everything goes away but I found that prescription meds don’t help and can mess up your mind!

• Posted

Hi mary

I have been a P.H.N. Sufferer now for three years, so I understand fully what your problem is.

It is necessary to use a topical mixture to take the pain away and avoid using analgesics which have a long term detrimental affect.

I have discovered a very useful topical mixture that takes away most of the pain and allows me to function normally. The formula is as follows:

250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream

Two 5 gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream.

65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel.

Mix thoroughly and apply sparingly to the pain area as required for pain relief.

The Invite Vitamin E Cream is oil based and it does not form a skin with continued use.

The Aciclovir Cream is an anti-viral Cream used to treat Cold Sores (a similar virus to Shingles).

The Dencorub Heat Gel is a very effective pain killer.

I found that twice daily treatment was  effective for pain control after the first few months, without the necessity for analgesics.

This treatment is not expensive, as the quantity above should last 2 to 4 months, depending on frequency of application.

Try it if you need pain relief over an extended time period.

Kind regards, Ray.

• Posted

Sounds like a mild case of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN).  Though no chronic pain is what we want, be thankful it isn’t worse. As you can read here, many folks have severe problems with it. Try Aspercreme, and lidocaine gel. Given what my fellow PHN patients are saying about oral meds and their sedative side effects, I’d avoid them. I’ve had PHN for 27 years now. Originally quite severe, but more of an annoyance now. I’ve avoided oral meds, and have done well with that. Exacerbations, or flare-ups of pain/itching, are usually stopped within 30 min after drinking a full glass of water, so hydration has a prominent effect for me. I’ve recently had very good effects from using an eczema cream, triamcinolone acetonide. Small bits in the worst areas helps a lot. It’s an anti-inflammatory cream. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.